Do you carry any safety equipment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, on every dive I seem to carry a decent amount of safety/emergency equipment.

1-Nautilus Lifeline
2-Whistle
3-Signal Mirror
4-Knife
5-Thing that whistles incorporated into BCD inflator mechanism. Cannot remember the name.
6-Safety sausage

And for boat dives
7-SMB and reel.

Some of my buddies think I am crazy. My logic is rather have the stuff and dont need, than need the stuff and don't have.

I often cannot believe, especially on boat dives, the number of divers without any of the above.

I also cannot believe that none of these items are included in OW training (Well not for me at least), nor advanced open water.

So what do you carry. Am I paranoid? :confused:

Knife, EMT shears, whistle, DSMB on a finger spool.

I don't think you are paranoid, a lot can have to do with where you dive. If you see a need and it is all stowed in a safe manner what's the harm?

Pete

I also carry whistle, shears, SMB/spool, mirror.

The most important item though is using the grey matter between your ears to keep yourself out of trouble. Unfortunately, many divers forget that also. I think (can't prove) that the simple act of carrying the safety gear and maybe practicing with it a bit changes your mindset and actually helps keep you out of trouble since you realize there are potential dangers out there and you are taking responsibility rather than relying on someone else for your safety.

depending on the dive I'll carry different "stuff."

A quarry I don't carry much. But I carry more if it's a deco dive
Open ocean dives, I carry much more "stuff" like a big bag, big knife, maybe strobe.. just more stuff.

It all depends on the dive. However, it seems like we are talking OW here. I carry a big ole SMB on a finger spool, small knife and Trilobyte EzyCut (or however you spell it), a set of shears, and if at night a glow stick for the SMB if needed.

3-7 on every dive.

Whistles are pretty useless based on a study done a few years ago. It doesn't take much distance for them to be ineffective.

I see nothing wrong with what you carry, and I think carrying them is a good habit to develop. With time you may find that in some situations you don't need all of them, but hey, better to have them and not need them than not have them when you do need them!
DivemasterDennis

Am I paranoid? :confused:

Yes--but the ocean is still out to get you!

On every dive I carry a SMB/spool, knife, and a Fox 40 whistle. If I'm diving singles and it's a wreck rather than a reef dive, I'll bring a 400' reel and sling a 20cu pony. Doubles rig for extended penetration involves more redundant equipment, but no different pieces of safety gear.

I carry a mirror, whistle, and dye pack that will form a ring around me so I can be seen in a large expanse of open water. I have had it for so long- I don't remember what it is called. I also carry a sausage. I have never needed a knife but have one and would carry it if someone told me the dive site has a lot of fishing line on it. If I had a Nautilus, I would certainly carry it and there is nothing wrong with being ready for a problem- your life depends on it. My most important safety "plan" is my buddy- I would never dive without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom