Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you carry any safety equipment??

Registered

Shwayz

Dives
    100 - 199

Do you carry any safety equipment??

So, on every dive I seem to carry a decent amount of safety/emergency equipment.

1-Nautilus Lifeline
    2-Whistle
    3-Signal Mirror
    4-Knife
    5-Thing that whistles incorporated into BCD inflator mechanism. Cannot remember the name.
    6-Safety sausage

And for boat dives
    7-SMB and reel.

Some of my buddies think I am crazy. My logic is rather have the stuff and dont need, than need the stuff and don't have.

I often cannot believe, especially on boat dives, the number of divers without any of the above.

I also cannot believe that none of these items are included in OW training (Well not for me at least), nor advanced open water.

So what do you carry. Am I paranoid?

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I carry a whistle and SMB/reel
    I own a knife but I do not usually have it underwater with me
    The "Thing that whistles incorporated into BCD inflator mechanism" I usually use for remote sites with high waves and possibility to get drifted away from the boat.

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Knife, EMT shears, whistle, DSMB on a finger spool.

I don't think you are paranoid, a lot can have to do with where you dive. If you see a need and it is all stowed in a safe manner what's the harm?

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Defender!

is not really grumpy

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I also carry whistle, shears, SMB/spool, mirror.

The most important item though is using the grey matter between your ears to keep yourself out of trouble. Unfortunately, many divers forget that also. I think (can't prove) that the simple act of carrying the safety gear and maybe practicing with it a bit changes your mindset and actually helps keep you out of trouble since you realize there are potential dangers out there and you are taking responsibility rather than relying on someone else for your safety.
    “Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.” - Nikola Tesla

ScubaBoard Veteran

VOTE DEMOCRAT it's easier than
    working

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    depending on the dive I'll carry different "stuff."

A quarry I don't carry much. But I carry more if it's a deco dive
    Open ocean dives, I carry much more "stuff" like a big bag, big knife, maybe strobe.. just more stuff.

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    It all depends on the dive. However, it seems like we are talking OW here. I carry a big ole SMB on a finger spool, small knife and Trilobyte EzyCut (or however you spell it), a set of shears, and if at night a glow stick for the SMB if needed.
    *This space for rent*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbmata View Post
    I don't know whether to worship you, or hunt you to display you over my fireplace.

Scuba Instructor

Reminiscing about the last
    dive, preparing for the next

Dives
    100 - 199
    3-7 on every dive.

Whistles are pretty useless based on a study done a few years ago. It doesn't take much distance for them to be ineffective.
    -todd

Registered

PADI Pro, author, scuba snob

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    I see nothing wrong with what you carry, and I think carrying them is a good habit to develop. With time you may find that in some situations you don't need all of them, but hey, better to have them and not need them than not have them when you do need them!
    DivemasterDennis

Rebreather Pilot

On a long enough timeline, the
    survival rate for everyone
    drops to zero.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduke12 View Post
    Am I paranoid?

Yes--but the ocean is still out to get you!

On every dive I carry a SMB/spool, knife, and a Fox 40 whistle. If I'm diving singles and it's a wreck rather than a reef dive, I'll bring a 400' reel and sling a 20cu pony. Doubles rig for extended penetration involves more redundant equipment, but no different pieces of safety gear.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    I carry a mirror, whistle, and dye pack that will form a ring around me so I can be seen in a large expanse of open water. I have had it for so long- I don't remember what it is called. I also carry a sausage. I have never needed a knife but have one and would carry it if someone told me the dive site has a lot of fishing line on it. If I had a Nautilus, I would certainly carry it and there is nothing wrong with being ready for a problem- your life depends on it. My most important safety "plan" is my buddy- I would never dive without one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast