Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Do you dive with a snorkel!??

RJP
    Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by BLoaf View Post
    Hello, I am trying to get some input on who uses snorkels and who does not. Is it safe to not dive with a snorkel? Why do people choose to not use them?
    I opt not to dive with one. They are not much use in wrecks (or anywhere underwater) and could interfere with deploying a long hose if needed.

I understand why people who do dives with long surface swims might like them. I'd rather do the swim on my back.

More than 500 dives and I've never been on one where I thought "man, I really wish I had a snorkel"!

Follow me for a marketing professional's perspective on the dive industry... or a dive professional's perspective on the marketing industry:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AquisMarketing
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/AquisStrategicMarketing
    Articles: http://www.aquismarketing.com/new-blog-1/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    As a newly certified diver one year ago I use my snorkel. I have only done shore dives so far this year and I use it to swim out to the site with my buddies. I am the only one out of four of us who uses theirs for the swim out. Everyone else rolls on their back and swims out. One time I made a giant stride off a dive charter with the snorkel in my mouth. LMAO. I dont know what I was thinking but that first inhale was a wake up call. Luckily my bcd was fully inflated and I was able to grab my 2nd stage immedialty.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by agilis View Post
    There's a reason cetaceans have a breathing hole on the back of their heads. On anchorline deep dives I may carry a fold up snorkel in my leg pocket. Otherwise, it's always there, unobtrusive, tucked neatly on the side of my head, instantly deployable. I've heard people say that snorkels break a streamlined profile. Sometines these people have incredible amounts of junk hanging off them, with clumsy BCs that look like winter overcoats and more hoses wrapped around them than the Michelin man.

I once swam more than a mile to a small boat that had drifted because the kid in it had fallen asleep. There were two of us, the Jamaican small shop operator and me. On the surface, looking at the faraway boat, we fully inflated our BCs, took them off, made small semi-buoyant rafts out of them, and slowly snorkeled, pushing our equipment, toward the boat, which happily was drifting shoreward. It was actually lots of fun, relaxing, got to see a lot of things as the bottom slowly rose and turned to turtle grass. I learned many new Jamaican words that afternoon.
    sounds like fun

Registered

is a pilot and
    recreational diver.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    For boats dives in rather calm conditions - no. For boat dives in rough conditions - yes
    -hh likes this.

Registered

Dive True

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I carry a snorkel on all dives in open water. It is a flexible all silicone folding snorkel that I can easily have in my pocket if needed. I love it and it has allowed me to save gas and move on the surface with great efficiency.

Registered

Just another average diver

Dives
    200 - 499
    "Snorkel is for snorkeling" that is what they say at the club. Haven't seen a need for it - always have the reg in the mouth until I get back on the boat.
    Keep Diving - Dive Safe

Never assume an un-exploded goat is evidence of a good decompression profile.

Registered

likes getting wet!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I generally carry one when ocean diving. Rarely use them but there was a time on the Grove, 5 foot seas, current ripping, and I attached and used the snorkel as just dragging ones self on the surface line resulted in a few hundred lbs of air use. One dude said he used 800lbs on the surface, yes conditions were rough.
    Ron
    http://ronfrankweb.weebly.com/index.html
    Protect Florida's Precious BARRIER REEF! go HERE to Help
    My PBASE Gallery is HERE
    Looking for Used Gear, checkout SCUBA SITEMASH

Diving Polymath

waiting for the next dive.

On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated population center on the face of the earth. 2,175 miles to Alaska, 2,390 miles to California; 3,850 miles to Japan; 4,900 miles to China; 5,280 miles to the Philippines.
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive the World View Post
    "Snorkel is for snorkeling" that is what they say at the club. Haven't seen a need for it - always have the reg in the mouth until I get back on the boat.
    For me, swimming at the surface is snorkeling, scuba means being below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodnDive View Post
    As a newly certified diver one year ago I use my snorkel. I have only done shore dives so far this year and I use it to swim out to the site with my buddies. I am the only one out of four of us who uses theirs for the swim out. Everyone else rolls on their back and swims out. One time I made a giant stride off a dive charter with the snorkel in my mouth. LMAO. I dont know what I was thinking but that first inhale was a wake up call. Luckily my bcd was fully inflated and I was able to grab my 2nd stage immedialty.
    I have my snorkel in my mouth whenever I am at the surface, that way there is never any confusion. I enter the water with my snorkel in my mouth and I switch to my snorkel as soon, or even before, I surface.

Quote Originally Posted by RonFrank View Post
    I generally carry one when ocean diving. Rarely use them but there was a time on the Grove, 5 foot seas, current ripping, and I attached and used the snorkel as just dragging ones self on the surface line resulted in a few hundred lbs of air use. One dude said he used 800lbs on the surface, yes conditions were rough.
    That's part of the issue, if you only use our snorkel when conditions are bad you do not develop, or maintain, your snorkel related skills, especially the detection of water coming in that happens more often with a snorkel, but also signals the start of regulator issues.
    I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.

"Too often ... people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - Leapfrog
    "They are the McDonalds of diver certification. Quick, inexpensive and tasty. Pardon me for saying so, but I also believe it to be a health hazard." - DCBC
    "It truly does boil down to motivation ... if you believe something is hard, or unnecessary to learn, you won't learn it ... even if it's completely within your capability" - Bob (Grateful Diver)

Registered

says Florida Rocks!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP View Post
    I opt not to dive with one. They are not much use in wrecks (or anywhere underwater) and could interfere with deploying a long hose if needed.

I understand why people who do dives with long surface swims might like them. I'd rather do the swim on my back.

More than 500 dives and I've never been on one where I thought "man, I really wish I had a snorkel"!

100% drift diving here. The last time I carried a snorkel was during my PADI AOW class 15 years ago. It was last seen the same day speeding away from our charter boat at high velocity toward the Gulf Stream to the east.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Well, I thought this thread was going away... but if ya can't beat em, join em.
    I went through OW with one and it kinda just stayed with me for a bit until one day I forgot it and realised I had been set free. I would, as others have surely stated use one anytime I had a long surface swim. I avoid these types of dives so I have not used my snorkel in years except of course when .....

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast