Will a custom regulator mouthpiece fit any rented regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leyaboo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I'm new to this site and have a quick question. I have been diving for a few years now, and was planning on getting some gear of my own. I have the money to buy a few things, but a regulator isn't in my budget. Almost every regulator I use hurts my mouth, gives me headaches, and throws off my bite. I've been thinking about getting a custom mouthpiece that molds to my teeth hoping it will help, but I don't know if you can take off the rented gear's mouthpiece and put your own on? Or would you have to buy a certain regulator to fit on to it? And if I would have to buy a regulator, could you recommend a few good, cheap(er) brands? Thank you!

here is the site that has the moldable mouthpiece I was thinking of getting..

Seacure Custom Moldable Scuba Regulator Mouthpiece at Divers Direct.

but I don't know if you can take off the rented gear's mouthpiece and put your own on?
You can if they'll let you , it's only a cable tie that holds it on. However there is more than one standard mouthpiece. So you'd need to know what you're renting. The 1st two Seacure sizes will fit the majority of current regulator models - especially what you'll likely find in rental gear: Seacure Custom Mouthpiece Size Chart

Last edited:
I sprung for a sea cure on my reg about a year ago and it is great. It is so comfortable in the mouth. A few weeks ago I dove my doubles set using another reg without my sea cure. The minute I put it in my mouth I was missing my sea cure. Since then I purchased another sea cure for my doubles reg. Its the best upgrade money can buy for a regulator. A++ for Sea cure!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

okay thank you very much! I will do some more looking around...and diversteve do you know which size is better? I didn't realize they come in more than one!

It's hard to guess which of the "comfort" type mouthpieces will be comfortable for you, so be prepared to try a couple if you don't get lucky the first time. I have an Aqualung reg that came with a Comfo Bite, and I found it horribly uncomfortable. Also not excited about the moldable ones because they're too hard for me, though my husband loves his. I've got a mystery soft silicone one now that I bought in some dive shop on vacation, it's a bit longer and shaped differently than the standard ones you mostly see around, and I love that one.

I wonder about how the reg is causing cause headaches. Maybe trying to keep a grip on a mouthpiece could tension in the muscles resulting in a headache. But also consider if your breathing pattern (like shallow or skip breathing) could be resulting in CO2 retention.

I have been diving for a few years now, and was planning on getting some gear of my own. . . . Almost every regulator I use hurts my mouth, gives me headaches, and throws off my bite. I've been thinking about getting a custom mouthpiece that molds to my teeth hoping it will help,
Many newer divers feel the need to clamp down very hard on their mouthpiece, and consequently get serious jaw fatigue and a headache. The mouthpiece doesn't fit their mounth well, so they spend extra energy trying to secure the mouthpiece with more jaw tension, and that leads to pain and headaches. I have seen more than a few newer divers even bite completely through the lobes on a mouthpiece because they are biting down so hard on the mouthpiece, out of fear of the mouthpiece coming out of their mouth.This is both understandable and completely unnecessary.
but I don't know if you can take off the rented gear's mouthpiece and put your own on?
Yes, you can. It is not a problem. You cut the cable tie on the old one, put your own and cable-tie it to the mouthpiece. BUT, please reverse the process when you return the rental reg. Shops do not like it when you bring the regulator back (without the original mouthpiece) to them, or bring the regulator and mouthpiece back separatetly and expect them to reattach it.
And if I would have to buy a regulator, could you recommend a few good, cheap(er) brands?
You probably need to give us a better idea of where you will be diving. That comment aside, there are MULTIPLE threads on SB on reglator selection.

A number of newer divers find that 'standard' mouthpieces are not optimal for them. I was one of those early on. I ended up going to a Seacure mouthpiece for my Zeagle regulator, and was very happy with it - for a while. HOWEVER, I bought a new set of regs (Apeks) several years later for techinical dive training and they came with Comfo-Bite mouthpieces. What a remarkably comfortable mouthpiece! Several years later, I put the original (at that time, very comfortable) Seacure mouthpiece in my mouth and gagged - how could I have possibly dove with that thing in my mouth (nothing aganst Seacure, just against a big mouthpiece). I subsequently converted all my regulator second stages to a Comfo-Bite mouthpiece.

okay thank you very much! I will do some more looking around...and diversteve do you know which size is better? I didn't realize they come in more than one!
Totally a guess - at least in the US/Caribbean - if I had to buy one I'd go with the II. I have my own gear so don't really notice rentals much but every time I read it on someone's website they often say their rental fleet is later model ScubaPro, Sherwood or Aqualung gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom