Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Practising with new equipment

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Practising with new equipment

I decided it was time to learn how to deploy an SMB from depth. First I did it in a swimming pool. I had a little trouble but pulled it off. Then I decided I would try it at Gilboa Quarry. With 1000 PSI left in my tank, my buddy and I went to the training platforms at 20 feet. I wanted to learn how to do this in cold water, so I used the exhaust from my regulator to inflated it. My technique was wrong, the thick gloves didn't help, and when I finally go some air into the SMB, the line had tangled itself around my regulator. I was kicking to stay down, I took the reg out of my mouth, and tried to untangle it but could not untangle the line completely. Then, needing more air to breath, put the reg back in my mouth. I thought for a while (still kicking), and finally decided that I would just kick a little less, and allow the the smb to slowly bring me to the surface. At that moment, my buddy figured out how to deflate the smb. By the time I surfaced after untangling the line, I had about 150 PSI of air left in my tank.

I thought about putting this in the near misses section of the forum except that it wasn't. I planned to do it on the platforms where it would be relatively safe, and I would have a good visual reference. There is no current in the quarry. I left enough air for contingencies, and ended up using it. My buddy was fully briefed on the plan. What I learned from the whole mess was exactly how necessary it is to try out new equipment and techniques in safe waters, and at safe depths. I am sure glad I didn't try it for the first time in the middle of the ocean with an insta-buddy.

Assimilated Medical Mod

Currently broken

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    This is a great post! Whenever you introduce a new variable to a dive, it's best to do it somewhere familiar and safe, and with someone you know. I try to change one thing at a time . . . if it's a new site, it's a known buddy; if it's an unknown buddy, it's a familiar site and familiar gear.

You also learned another important thing. When shooting a bag, get the whole assembly out in front of you, and keep it there!
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    My dive journal can be read here, and a current dive blog HERE
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Nice "real world" post.

Try putting a TINY shot of air into the bag so that the bag JUST floats up and gets out of your way, then dress the line, get the reel/spool squared away, open the bottom of the bag, insert reg and let 'er rip.

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
    Dives
    500 - 999
    We went fly fishing on snorkel for bone fish in Bonaire. I found out just how difficult it can be to handle that spool and line underwater. Darn line has a mind of its own!
    Dr. Tracy
    US Army Major, Retired

Defender!

Status,who needs status

Dives
    500 - 999
    We learn more from the mistakes we make all on our own. Your planning was top notch, you didn't get flustered. Love to have you as a dive buddy.
    "Those who do not use local guides are unable to obtain the advantages of the ground." - Sun Tzu

Scuba Instructor

has no status- he's
    just another instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    You were using your primary reg to inflate?
    EDIT: or used the tilt method where your spent bubbles inflate the bag but the reg remains in the mouth?

Check youtube for some of the different ways people inflate the bag with varying rates of success. Having the reg actually inside the bag is an easy way to get it entangled. Having excess line is another.

LSS- this is a great skill to have- and an easy one to get wrong. The thing is, is that you can get away with having the 'wrong' technique for a while until it catches you and you're forced in to a rapid ascent and become another statistic. http://www.cmas.ch/downloads/BSAC_Di...eport_2010.pdf
    In the UK in 2010, 23 DCI incidents involving rapid ascents with 14% being identified as problems with SMB.

I would suggest getting help from an experienced diver/instructor so you're not having to re-learn from incorrect procedure.

We do a lot of SMB deployment in the Maldives as there are not many places where boats can anchor, so 99% of dives are technically drift dives and safety stops are usually done with SMBs to let the boat know where you are. SMB use and OOA air-sharing are without doubt the 'roughest' of skills shown to me by 'experienced' divers. I also see Instr/guides doing it pretty rough as well so if you go with an instructor as always: caveat emptor.

Regular of the Pub

Been dry way too long

Dives
    100 - 199
    Did almost the same thing myself. Without the problems. Did a simple 30 foot checkout dive and thought to hit the smb at the 3 min stop. Never deployed the smb before. Mine is a mouth blow one but I was surprised at how hard it was from a half breath at 20 feet. Great thing to practice when practice is the reason for your dive. Keep learning.

Divemaster
    Badge

Hickory/Morganton NC

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Yes, this is a very good thread...! I try and encourage people to practice deploying their SMB at depth and believe it should be required in OW or at least in AOW... Its not as easy as it looks as the op found out for themselves but best to learn in a somewhat controlled environment rather than after the boat breaks free of its anchorage in 4-8' seas off NC and everyone is scattered about...!

Hope someone goes out and tries it this weekend just because they read this thread...! lee
    Regards, lee

Upcoming trips;
    NC Coast at the drop of a dime...!

I believe I have made my last trip to Bonaire... I dove Curacao...!!!

Scuba Instructor

has no status- he's
    just another instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by lsorenson View Post
    Yes, this is a very good thread...! I try and encourage people to practice deploying their SMB at depth and believe it should be required in OW or at least in AOW... Its not as easy as it looks as the op found out for themselves but best to learn in a somewhat controlled environment ....
    IMO it should be done ad nauseum in the AOW drift dive.

Here we ask divers to demonstrate their ability to deploy SMB as part of the orientation dive, if people wish to dive as an independent buddy pair.
    lsorenson likes this.

Registered

has lost track of time

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Personally I would make the use of an SMB mandatory if not ascending on an anchor or buoy line.

I have never been taught how to use one in any course (although I will be shortly) but have developed my own method. I used to use a ScubaPro SMB in a pocket without a reel and that was always a disaster, line all over the place on the surface and frequent entanglements until I found out about finger spools, super easy.

Use your octopus second stage to inflate (if you have one).

Everyone should have one, and I am surprised at how many people don't, even if not deployed doing the safety stop, it is the best way to make yourself noticed at the surface for the people on the boat to spot you.
    Searcaigh
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." - Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast