disconnecting the suunto cobra dive computer from the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishinfurthur

Registered
Reaction score
so basically the dive computer is attached the the first stage. do i have to go to the scuba shop to get this dismantled or am i able to do it myself and save the hassle/money. any ideas would help thanks!

Doesn't it just screw into a high pressure port? Unscrew it and replace the plug, which you hopefully still have.

It simply screws into the first stage. The big thing to keep in mind and this holds true for any scuba part sealed with Orings is not to over tighten it. Just enough torque should be applied with the proper wrench/spanner to prevent it from coming loose on it's own AND NO MORE. The oring does the actual sealing and tightening it more than is needed to prevent it from moving does no good and can destroy the first stage ports if excessive torque is applied .

It's also possible to UNDERtighten a 1st stage port fitting because judging how tight is tight enough based on the rules of thumb (e.g., "use just one finger to rotate the tool") one reads on SB can be difficult. Firsthand experience here. Fortunately, the hose did not come completely off underwater, but I considered it a close call. Installing a plug is much less risky in this respect than installing a hose, since unlike a hose there will be no twisting stresses applied to the plug after it's installed. But I thought I'd chime in about my bad experience installing a hose.

I wish there were some kind of small torque wrench available for those of us who don't install hoses often to enough to have a real feel for how tight is just right. I searched briefly for a suitable torque wrench but didn't find one.

I wish there were some kind of small torque wrench available for those of us who don't install hoses often to enough to have a real feel for how tight is just right. I searched briefly for a suitable torque wrench but didn't find one.
Adding a crowfoot to a standard low-range torque wrench can work. Typical torques are around 30-40 inch-pounds.

added: If you like real accuracy, this site: http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm tells you how to calculate for the added length. Essentially, just torque a bit below your spec.

Last edited:
2013-01-24 18.25.30.jpg sodo i just unscrew it like a nail it feels really tight and i dont want to damage anything

Go to an LDS and have them show you.
Really what needs to happen for any hose changing is to get an appropriate sized crescent wrench and twist it counterclockwise to loosen the hose. Then hand screw it the rest of the way.

To replace, hand screw it fully, then connect the crescent wrench:
- put two fingers on the end and apply light pressure to snug it up. You shouldn't be able to hand loosen the hose afterwards, nor should you see the connection twist much when you snug it up w/ the wrench.
Make sure the hose O-ring is free of grit and isn't cracked or brittle.

You could use an adjustable crescent wrench to do all this, but if it isn't snug onto the connection you could possibly strip or damage your hose coupling (which just means it's now harder to change that hose)

All you need to do is unscrew it from the high pressure port.

But I always recommend you take it to a dive shop unless you have had proper training. It's not worth the risk "guessing" and you end up making a mistake. Happy safe diving!

Back
Top Bottom