I saw a hurt diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mech

Contributor
Reaction score
Around noon on 12/30 some of my friends and I were diving the Ruby E. on a "six pack" that we chartered and heard what sounded like some one violently throwing up on the boat moored right behind us.Their bow was about 50 yards off our stern.
After we looked closer we saw a diver at the other boats bow line in big trouble.
We called (yelled) to the other boat several times and had our own rescue crew suiting up to assist.
The other boat relized what was going on and sent a rescue diver (their dive master) faster than we could get ours in.
When he reached the diver he yelled "OH ****" (I later found out that the diver had quit breathing)and did a better than average job getting him on board.
Our skipper asked if they wanted him to call for rescue and they said yes.
Our skipper is a friend of the other boat and told us that he knew that their primary radio was broken and that their hand held was weak.
The lifeguards (yes lifeguards) were there in less than 5 minutes and gone with the victim in a prompt manner.
The evacuation of the victim to the shore was faster than I thought possible.
I found out later when talking to the rescue diver on shore that when he arrived the victim wasn't breathing and he was drowning in pink froth that filled his lungs but regained his breathing after one rescue breath from some one on board.
This was a real "eye opener" for me.
Does any one know more about this?
Thanks
Mech

Pink froth - bad news. Holding one's breath on ascent is the usual cause.

I hope the guy ends up being ok......

mech:
but regained his breathing after one rescue breath from some one on board.
I know nothing about this specific case, but as for the one redeeming rescue breath, there was a similar case where I live a year ago. The very first "kiss of life" while the victim was still in the water and being towed into land brought the non-breathing victim back immediately, she was quickly put on oxygen and I understand she made a full recovery. An MD quoted in the official report of the incident explained how vital the first few breaths of artificial resuscitation really are and how important it is that they're administered as soon as possible.

I sincerely hope the latest victim also makes a full recovery.

mech:
Around noon on 12/30 some of my friends and I were diving the Ruby E. on a "six pack" that we chartered and heard what sounded like some one violently throwing up on the boat moored right behind us.Their bow was about 50 yards off our stern.
After we looked closer we saw a diver at the other boats bow line in big trouble.
We called (yelled) to the other boat several times and had our own rescue crew suiting up to assist.
The other boat relized what was going on and sent a rescue diver (their dive master) faster than we could get ours in.
When he reached the diver he yelled "OH ****" (I later found out that the diver had quit breathing)and did a better than average job getting him on board.
Our skipper asked if they wanted him to call for rescue and they said yes.
Our skipper is a friend of the other boat and told us that he knew that their primary radio was broken and that their hand held was weak.
The lifeguards (yes lifeguards) were there in less than 5 minutes and gone with the victim in a prompt manner.
The evacuation of the victim to the shore was faster than I thought possible.
I found out later when talking to the rescue diver on shore that when he arrived the victim wasn't breathing and he was drowning in pink froth that filled his lungs but regained his breathing after one rescue breath from some one on board.
This was a real "eye opener" for me.
Does any one know more about this?
Thanks
Mech

Which boat were you on? Which boat was the one having the afflicted diver?

I dived the DND boat on the 28th...same wreck.

Sean,
I was on the Hydrodiver.
I think the other boats name was the Sea Escape...I could be wrong but that's what one of my dive buddies just told me.
We did all the main dives there but the Lois Ann had to turn around on 1/3 in route to the Coronado Islands because of high seas.
My favorite dive was Scripts Canyon.We nicknamed it The Abyss

Hey Mech,

I hope all turned out well. Good thing your skipper had a functioning radio.

Regards,

Do you know the out come Is he OK

mech:

These two points set off huge alarm bells for future reference. Ensure that the charter boat you are using has WORKING radios. I am so pleased to hear how quick the response was because of the close proximity of other boats but it certainly makes me stop to ponder the possibilities of much greater problems should the boat have been alone.

Yikes.

Was that a six-pack boat?

If not, then USCG rules for INSPECTED passenger vessels were CERTAINLY being violated, and someone needs to get on the horn and report it.

I don't know if a VHF is required for an uninspected "six pack" vessel, but I wouldn't get on ANY boat headed to open water without a fixed-mount, and working, VHF on board at absolute MINIMUM. Beyond sight of land I want an EPIRB on board as well.

This is in addition to enough O2 for at least two man-hours (in civilized regions) on demand valves as well.

It wasn't a six pack.
The boat was about 44' long
Before I replied to Sean I called one of the guys from the boat I was on and he thought it was the Sea Escape but after a little research (as in looking at a list of San Diego dive boats) I'm thinking it was the Blue Escape.
The purpose of this thread was to find out what happened to that diver (which is still a mystery to me) and to share my experiance.I actually learned quite a bit from it and thought I'd pass that along.
Being that I can't say for sure that it was the Blue Escape I'm not going to bad mouth that boat,but the boat that was there had no business on the water with a broken radio.
Going to sea with a broken radio is not an accident but pure negligence.
Mech

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom