Procedure for vomiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife often has seasickness and occasionally has to vomit during a dive. Are there any recommendations? Using the reg or with reg out? On the surface or just beneath the surface (when possible)? What to watch out for (laryngospasm?)

thanks,

Bill

We discussed this in class when I was getting certified. The instructor said to blow chunks into the reg, that way if you take a sharp breath afterward your air supply is already in your mouth. Might want to rinse the mouth out with some water after!

Sorry to hear about your wife's seasickness. I admit i don't have anything to add on proper emesis procedure. But some preventive options are OTC antihistamines like Bonine, Dramimine or even Benadryl but be aware that sleepiness can be an unwanted side effect that could potentially adversely effect a diver (and only take if your wife doesn't have a medical contraindications). Some people use ginger as a preventive. Here is a link to a DAN article. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Motion_Sickness

You might also want to look at this thread. :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/449474-behalf-service-techs-everywhere.html

Buddy threw up a meat loaf sandwich through the school university-8-year-old school rental Mares Proton. That's a tiny second stage for reference.
Everything cleared fine and instantly through the exhaust tee, but he does wish he had chewed his food more.

Unless surface waves are making the queasiness worse, I would finish your spewing bouts on the surface before descending.
If underwater, tongue block too on the inhale so you don't get bits of food backwashing from the second stage into your mouth.
And if you have to, tap the purge, don't hammer down full-hard-and-long. If there's a chance for the purge to projectile vomit back at you, a short purge would be much less frightening than a full on long purge.

We discussed this in class when I was getting certified. The instructor said to blow chunks into the reg, that way if you take a sharp breath afterward your air supply is already in your mouth. Might want to rinse the mouth out with some water after!
This pretty much sums it up, except use your spare second stage if you really need to puke through the reg. They are typically cheaper and you won't need to taste the "chunks" during the rest of the dive.

I have puked through my regulator twice. It passes through the regulator easily, though expelling the vomit forcefully seems to help. I recommend puking through whatever you have in your mouth at the time—you don't want to be fussing with your regulators while battling underwater nausea. Switch to the other second stage when you're done, and you feel a little steadier. Swish the puked-through regulator around a little to rinse it.

My wife lost her appetite for fish for the rest of our vacation after seeing them swarm my vomit.

The only place in the world I get motion sickness is underwater if there is a surge. Puking into the reg is pretty much a normal occurrence for me. I just leave my reg in, puke it all out, and then rinse the reg a bit, rinse my mouth a bit and carry on. Inevitably if it is a repetitive issue you learn what you prefer and what works best. Plus look at the bright side....it attracts fish....

I threw up through the reg and easily took a breath after. The problem was that it was difficult to exhale after, so I would purge the reg underwater to clear it out a little.

I would say the best thing is to stay out of the water on rough days. Have her dive only on the calmest days. Stay away from green grass, and the purple kelp in surge. Well stay away from shallow surge too. The low lying kelp swaying back and forth quickly in front of me when the entire bottom is moving will make me queasy over time. If she thinks she might get sea sick, then it is probably best to stay out of the water.

We have a couple of friends that puke on EVERY boat dive. They still dive though...

I am amazed no one mentioned when you are about to get sick, it is time for an OOA drill. That way you puke into your buddies reg :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom