What thickness wetsuit for 68 degree water (no thernocline)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243

Contributor
Reaction score
What thickness wetsuit would you wear in 68 degree water (no thermocline)? Would you wear a hood?

Thanks

jo8243:
What thickness wetsuit would you wear in 68 degree water (no thermocline)? Would you wear a hood?

Thanks

It's personal preference. In 68° water I've seen people in everything from full suit no hood, to just a 7mm step in jacket, to myself in a 2mm shoty no hood. It depends on how cold tolerant you are and how warm you want to be.

I wouldnt spend much more than an hour in a 3mm in that temp. I have know people freezing after 30 mins in a 5mm with hood at that temp.

I'd dive dry.

If I HAD TO dive wet, it would be in a full 5 or 7mil suit with a sharkskin inside, or a 7/5/3 semi-dry, in any event, with a well-fittnig hood.

jo8243:

Thanks

I'm guessing here - but it sounds like someone is heading to the Bonne Terre Mines.... I seem to recall it being a constant 68 degrees... let me know the outcome - I'm heading there in March with one of the local dive shops... I'm thinking either full 7mm or my drysuit. You might be able to swing it with a beanie vs. a full hood.

Thanks for the replies... I tend to get cold easy, so I'll go w/ 7mm I think.... And nope, I'm not going to bonne terre mines. I'm headed to Vortex springs in florida. It's 68 degrees year-round.

You could do a two piece 3mm or a single 5 - 7 mm it's up to you and your tolerance level. May be drysuit. Hood/beany same thing. In the end if your notice that your unmentionables can't be seen then you were to cold cause the suit was to thin

I find that it also depends on how warm the air temp is and how long I'm in the water for. For an hour in the water at this temp I would wear my 7mm with a hood and gloves. If I would be down for a 1/2 hour and this was the coldest it would be, I would not use my hood. I also find that I do not handle being cold very well.

Ian

netmage:
I'm guessing here - but it sounds like someone is heading to the Bonne Terre Mines.... I seem to recall it being a constant 68 degrees... let me know the outcome - I'm heading there in March with one of the local dive shops... I'm thinking either full 7mm or my drysuit. You might be able to swing it with a beanie vs. a full hood.

Bonne Terre is 58 deg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom