How often do you use your compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFanFL

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new diver and I always have my compass with me, but I have never needed to use or have a chance to use. Most of my dives are drift dives from boat so I just follows the person who carry the marker buoy.

Just curios, do you carry your compass with you when you dive, and how often do you use it?

Every single dive whether I am navigating or not. Even while you are being led on dives you should be developing the skills to have confidence in your navigation for the day when you cut the cord.

Unless I am in a current or other intense situation I am not fixated on the dial but may check my bearings every few minutes. It all depends on the site. With it well positioned it sweeps into position for a quick glance.

Pete

On the house reef where it is more critical to return to the same point with a dwindling air supply.

Boat diving it is more for learning more about the reef formations so as to be able to give more thourough briefings- eg. the overhang on the NW point has a ....

Yup, completely agree with Peter! Lots of divers in Asia take navigation for granted because all dives are led, and so they forget their navigation. My students have to lead dives even when they are on course just so that they have a chance to understand the different aspects of navigation.

Every dive, I'd be lost without it. I also have a mini for backup on my watch band.

I always have mine and I check it every few minutes, if I'm moving. As a photographer, I often am not moving or moving in a very small area. First thing I do as I go to my next stop is check my compass.

Every dive it's with me and used.... Get a heading before entering the water.... Use time and headings to go and get back... I don't follow anyone... :wink:

Jim....

To me it is a critical part of my gear. We sometimes get viz so bad you have to follow it to avoid getting turned around. But even in great viz I want to know where shore is.

You can use it even if your following someone else, when I'm following I still use mine because it gives me peace of mind and makes me more comfortable knowing where I am. As others mentioned should you choose to lead your own dives you'll be that much more prepared!

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 12:10 AM ----------

Have you done AOW yet? Navigation is not as daunting as it seems, once it simplified into grids and shapes its much less intimidating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom