What is a cattle boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see the term "cattle boat" tossed around a bunch. But I am not seeing any consistency. Is it number of divers or the fact that the divers are "herded along", that is all divers are in guided groups?

Personally I am not a fan of six packs and also not a fan of group guided dives. (Individual or buddy pair guides is fine).

A cattle boat is most divers worst nightmare!! Maybe 20 divers all trying to get ready at he same time in limited space, then racing to get in or out the water, of mixed skill levels, kit strewn everywhere, people waiting directly under the ladder, people taking of fins first then drifting away from the boat in the currennt, you geet the picture??????????????

I alway heard the term " cattle boat " used to discribe a large dive boat were it's a ride out and back to the dive spot and they don't care about weather or anything else.... Pay your money and take your chances..

As in ... Your treated no better then" Cattle"

Jim.....

Whew, now I know what a cattle boat is. I am glad I have never been on one.

I see the term "cattle boat" tossed around a bunch. But I am not seeing any consistency. Is it number of divers or the fact that the divers are "herded along", that is all divers are in guided groups?

Personally I am not a fan of six packs and also not a fan of group guided dives. (Individual or buddy pair guides is fine).

To me, a cattle boat operation caters almost exclusively to brand new divers with poor skills and someone herding them at all times..... You could not pay me enough to use a boat like this.

I think this can happen to a 20 pack size boat, but the more traditional mis-use of the new divers has been on the huge boats that might carry three groups of 10 or 15 each---30 to 45 diver monstrosities.
Now one of these huge boats could be cool if they ran at 50% full, and had mostly advanced divers on them--in which case they would not be cattle boats any more.

***note... I say mis-use, because the experience this cattle type operation creates has little to do with the DIVING EXPERIENCE that any of us would want new people to associate with DIVING. It is the worst form of expedience, and I would hope that if any SB members hear of some new diver planning on using a Cattle Boat operation, try to intercede.... JUST SAY NO!!! :)

In my expeience in S Fla. it's a boat filled to capacity* Aterisk because the boat is full, not the rating Coast Guard assigns to boat. If it was full to CG rating, divers would be in the head, hanging off the bow etc...LOL
Anyway, there might be a class doing OW or serious divers...just depends. In any case, don't go on the weekends and you'll probably be alright.

In common use, I associate it with boats with a crowd of divers. 12+ divers plus a couple of guides, for example. Assumes all divers are diving together.

Let's start with the literal meaning of cattle boat. It is a big barge filled with as many cattle as can fit on it as they are being taken to market. When they hit the dock, the gates will open and they will come tumbling out as a big mass into the stock yards.

Now apply that image to diving. It is to me a boat crammed with people, and it implies that the most of them have about the same diving skill as cattle.

I have been on several large trips with our dive shop, and 16 on a boat for 24 has worked fine (we usually have enough to get our own boat). Almost everyone knows each other, many experienced people, and experienced people willing to help the few newbies, most likely because they have been students at one time. Quick in the water, and relatively easy. Follow the DM or not. Asks what we are interested in. In my mind, this is not a cattle boat.

I have been on a few in Mexico, because it was the only option to me. Decent operations, but lots of divers fresh out of OW, decent DMs but just too much for them to handle. Had to dive with the guide- PIA- but this was because almost all the dives were drift dives. Yes, Cattle boat.

Terry

A cattle boat is most divers worst nightmare!! Maybe 20 divers all trying to get ready at he same time in limited space, then racing to get in or out the water, of mixed skill levels, kit strewn everywhere, people waiting directly under the ladder, people taking of fins first then drifting away from the boat in the currennt, you geet the picture??????????????

I don't plan on ever seeing a nightmare like this...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom