Smart Swimming Goggles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just what we need - Google Glass for diving! Available 2015...

Smart Swimming Goggles With Augmented Reality To Identify Organisms

I do like the idea that by wearing this mask - sorry "goggles" - I will know immediately that the bull shark bearing down on me is a "dangerous organism", and can take appropriate action, thanks to augmented reality. Plus, I like the threat assessment heads-up display, that you can use to keep track of your buddies, in true first-person shooter fashion. I guess if they figured out how to make GPS work under water, this technology might have some applications in low vis diving as long as you can turn it off...

At least the model in their brochure has the right idea - she put this thing on and immediately decided to thumb the dive!

ssg.jpg

Keeping track of my oxygen supply has always been a hassle. With this device I will always know how much I have left. Thanks "Smart Swimming Goggles"!!:wink:

A heads up/mask display for my dive computer seems like a good idea. Buddy tracking could be useful too...if it works.

The 3D camera is cute (you knew I'd like that, right?) but the lens separation is too small for anything but macro work.

At least the model in their brochure has the right idea - she put this thing on and immediately decided to thumb the dive!

Thumbs up is the Canadian Navy's way of saying OK. I know people who took their course, and do not dive with them for that reason. It is a different language to me.

Great, now I can identify more than 3,000 different species of nudibranchs without having to carry any of my books around :D

Thumbs up is the Canadian Navy's way of saying OK. I know people who took their course, and do not dive with them for that reason. It is a different language to me.

Really? Wow, that's interesting! I know that some people don't like standards in general, and prefer a "whatever works best for you" attitude, but that's potentially dangerous.

I'm sure that your typical Canadian Navy Seal knows far more about diving than I ever will, but given the fact that thumbs up is used to call a dive in virtually every other certifying agency, that's an odd choice. I wonder if they set up their SPGs to show you how much gas you have used rather than how much is left!

:)

That is really interesting! As someone new to this, it is going to be very difficult to break the habit of using a thumbs up to say things are good/okay. I've been doing that in non-dive contexts for like 25+ years! Just like everything else there is to learn, I need to learn not to do it anymore!

The masks seems silly, but at the same time, going through all the gear, it surprises me there aren't beeps or vibrations or something for certain alerts- like air levels. Everything still relies on manual checks of equipment.

That is really interesting! As someone new to this, it is going to be very difficult to break the habit of using a thumbs up to say things are good/okay. I've been doing that in non-dive contexts for like 25+ years! Just like everything else there is to learn, I need to learn not to do it anymore!

Yup, it's a very common thing - new divers do that all the time when I try to take their photo - just a way of saying that things are terrific! Blame the Fonz...

I have started using the surfer's "shaka" sign when I'm having a great dive or see something cool:

shaka.jpg

The masks seems silly, but at the same time, going through all the gear, it surprises me there aren't beeps or vibrations or something for certain alerts- like air levels. Everything still relies on manual checks of equipment.

That's a whole different thread (there a ton of those here). It's clearly controversial, but I personally am of the belief that beeps and vibrations are a dangerous crutch, and not a good thing for new divers to use. By relying on them to warn you about depth or gas limits, you can't help but offload some very necessary situational awareness. Most experienced divers don't need to constantly check their SPG or even depth once they get comfortable in the underwater environment, but in the beginning I think that it's better to be very aware of these two important parameters and not rely on an alarm.

Yup, it's a very common thing - new divers do that all the time when I try to take their photo - just a way of saying that things are terrific! Blame the Fonz...

I have started using the surfer's "shaka" sign when I'm having a great dive or see something cool:

View attachment 155884

What a great idea! !
If it caught on, it could eliminate a lot of confusion, especially for newer divers. The OK sign remains an appropriate question, but shaka would be a much better response than thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom