Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What to pay for used tanks

Registered

Has now set a status!!!

What to pay for used tanks

I already bought one craigslist tank that failed hydro and dont want to get stuck with another lamp. I found two used al80 tanks on Craigslist that the seller was asking $75 for one or $125 for two. I offered $90 for both and she came back at $100. Both of these tanks are out of hydro and are made in 1992 and 1993. Are they worth it or should I wait for somthing newer?

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    Wait. Some shops and hydro places even won't look at tanks older than 15 years if they are aluminum. Steels on the other hand last for years. I have two that are now fifty years old and still pass. And can get filled.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    BVickery likes this.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Registered

is Politically Inccorent

Dives
    0 - 24
    that is the issue I worry about most. I actually found a gentleman on another board that has 2 steels for sale, you have to pay for Hydro+VIP, but said if they come back neg your not responsible for the tanks in the end. Maybe have that as a stipulation, you meet and will pay for the Hydro/VIP and if they pass you pay for the tanks.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -Benjamin Franklin

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." — Mahatma Gandhi

Registered

wishing I had a dry suit

Why take your chances with used Aluminum tanks?

I pulled 2 steel 72's out of the local scrap yard, paid $20 for the pair and they both passed hydro no problem. They have been in service since the late 60's and each have 6 hydro stamps on them.
    I have had people give me al80's a few times now and I dont even try to hydro them (so far the ones given to me have been late 80's-early 90's) I just take the valve and scrap the tank, especially if they are pre 1989 vintage. Then I find a cheap 72 with an old "j" valve and swap burst discs and valves and I am good to go.

Also, I bought a Faber LP95 steel in March for $150 off of Craigslist and a pair of Faber 95's doubled up for $400(bands and isolation valve included) so there are deals around if you look and are patient. They may cost a little more than a used AL80 but at least the tanks will most likely with you for years to come.

I used to dive aluminum in the 1980's when they were all the rage but once I bought my 1st steel I never went back.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "

Ben Franklin

Registered

Has now set a status!!!

I checked with one of my local dive shops and they don't have a cutoff for age as long as they pass vis and hydro.

Scuba Instructor

Just following along
    behind the little animals..

Photos
    If possible, have the seller take them for vis/hydo and if they pass, you'll pay for that plus the tanks. I've got some older aluminum tanks that work just fine, not as good as steel, but just fine for practice and playing.

Divemaster
    Badge

Nova Scotia Divemaster

Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia (Eastern Shore), Canada
    Dives
    200 - 499
    I bought two 1993 AL80s on Kijiji for $75 (for the two). Both passed hydro without tumbling and always pass visual. Perhaps beacause I think they were hardly ever used as the OW candidate quit and gave them to his parents who kept them. My 3rd tank is 1976 steel 72 that was given to me (full air still in it 30 years)- same story, the student quit. It did need some tumbling but has been hydroed twice successfully.
    "If we lived here we'd be home".--Bob Miller
    To be is to do--Socrates.To do is to be--Plato.Do be do be do--Sinatra.

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    If from Craiglist, talk to seller so that if hydro fail, you can return the tank for your cash. I will pass on "as is" sale.

Scuba Instructor

Dive Shop

Dives
    500 - 999
    Al tanks are fine, they are the most common tank you will find in rental for a reason. As long as the tanks pass hydro you are good to go. As triple cove said anything before late 89/ early 90 will need a visual eddy check if they are made by Luxfer. Happy hunting.
    http://www.abyss-scuba.net/

Abyss Scuba
    Where the fun begins!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    If you're planning on diving locally, I'd probably go with steel especially if you plan on diving dry. Around here, almost everyone ends up using steel tanks, but then we also dive in salt water so we need some extra weight. In freshwater you don't need quite so much.

Summertime in lakes with a thin wetsuit, then aluminum might be just the thing. Cold saltwater; steel, all the way. Drysuit? Again, I'd opt for steel tanks. It takes a lot of weight to sink a drysuit.

Aluminum tanks are generally pretty affordable, at least around these parts. I can find newer ones fairly regularly on Craigslist for $75 or less. Just avoid the old ones. They're not worth the hassle.

Steel LP72's are also quite cheap and aren't that hard to find. I've paid as little as $10 for an LP72 and they're great tanks for short or shallow dives or if you just don't use much air. Don't worry too much about the age. They're all ancient.

Modern galvanized HP steel tanks are most in demand. Particularly HP80's, 100's and 119's. Expect to pay about 1/2 to 3/4 the price you would new for these. They'd also be my first choice in tanks.

Modern LP tanks go for a little less than HP tanks. They're great if you can get big fills, but if the shops around you will only fill to the recommended pressures then I'd just pay the extra and get HP's.

What you want to avoid are the oddball tanks. Avoid the tanks with 7/8" or 1/2" necks. Avoid the old steel tanks in odd sizes like LP38's or LP50's. And I'd avoid the older steel HP tanks as well. Most were built extra heavy so as to meet DOT standards. Newer ones were made under an exemption to the rules and are much lighter. If the pressure rating on the tank is 3442, then you should be OK.
    crosshairs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast