How much do you use Air Integration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1- Remaining gas
2- Depth
3- Projected remaining bottom time
4- Length of dive
5- Hopefully nothing else (deco time etc.) comes up. I'm a tropical recreational diver.

I don't use air integration. When I bought my first computer around 7 years ago I decided that since I was going to stick with a mechanical gauge there was no reason to integrate. Other than boat trips and an intrest in checking dive profiles and data collected by the computer, I could go back to tables with minimal impact on my usual local dives.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

My Surface Consumption Rate is 2 bar/min for a single AL80 (11L/bar) Tank, multiplied by whatever particular operational average depth I'm at, mieasured in Atmospheres Absolute (ATA). So for example, if I'm at 30m deep (or 4 ATA), I know I'm going to consume 4 times 2 bar/min which equals 8 bar/min at this depth. And in 10 minutes of nominal diving & finning around looking at all the cool marine life, I know I'm going to consume 10 times 8 bar/min which equals 80 bar in that time interval. . .

IOW --I don't need or use an Air Integration Computer (or any Dive Computer for that matter --only a bottom timer and the "computer" between my ears). . .

Never

Just seems like another failure point for the kind of diving I do.

(2) Computers, compass, spg, and backup depth gauge on my console give me all the data I need. Actually asking buddy for air remaining is a good way to check on how they are doing in general.

I use it to check my gas often. On a wrist computer, AI gives you gas levels without having to look at a console. I use an AI wrist computer because I like having everything in one place. Gas, depth, time, No deco time, compass, etc. I have a full nav console as a backup, but I can get everything I need at a glance without pulling out the conole.

For me its not about the computer doing gas planning, its about having it all on one convenient screen.

Just say no, keep it simple and save yoru $$. All the integration you need is between your ears.

Pete

No judgement or offense to those who use it but I do not.
My first console computer was integrated and digital but I switched to a plan SPG with a separate wrist mounted computer.
I guess the failure elimination issue won me over along with the price factor.
I am of the thought the greatest tool when we dive is our brains.
When we follow the rules with a conservative nature we eliminate many issues.

Batteries fade out, computers crash, our brains abilities need to be sharp enough to handle all failures of electronic devices.

CamG

I have used an AI for the last 19 years and find it a useful tool. I started out with a console and in 2005 moved to a wrist because I wanted to get rid of the extra hose and dangly bit. I have never had a failure and find them to be very reliable. I hear this argument all the time but if you are diving with any computer and it fails you end the dive unless you have a back up as mentioned earlier. You should also have a good understanding of your air consumption, turn pressure and ascent pressure without relying on a computer. When I dive singles I rely on my computer as these are usually shallower less demanding dives, when I dive doubles I always have a pressure gauge as well and know my turn and ascent pressures and times.

Back
Top Bottom