Need some feedback about diving and my wetsuit choices for overseas travel (Truk etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Sims

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

Any help on this subject would be much appreciated.

At the moment I have a Oneil (Surfing) wetsuit that is a 5mm/3mm. I love it as it's flexible (3mm in arms and legs, 5mm in front and back) and in the 22-24 degree water that Perth (Australia) has I can dive for 1 hour without feeling cold.

Now that its winter the water is down to 16-17degrees and I am starting to feel cold after 30mins (at 10m max depth).

I am off to Truk and Great Barrier Reef in September/October.

I want to be protected from the Jelly's at Truk but I don't want to be too warm either. Will be 5/3 be too much for Truk and Great Barrier at that time of year? Regardless I am going to have to buy something to keep me warm over winter in Perth. Lavacore upper with hood?

Thanks in advance.

I think it would be way too much at Truk. I dived Truk in my shorts and a t-shirt and had no problems with jellyfish. But if you wanted the protection, I would think a skin would be sufficient.

Ever done great barrier? I would be curious what would be needed for that dive also. :) 24 dives over 2 weeks...bless!

I did a live aboard in AU, in Early Feb 09.
My computer (had to go find my old log book) says the bottom temp was 81 or 82 degrees depending. I normally wore a 1 mm full wet suit.

Chuuk will be 29-30C in September/October. A lycra or 3 mm shorty is enough unless you are someone who gets cold easily.

Where on GBR? If out of Cairns/Port Douglas, then the temperature should be about 25-26C. I used a 3 mm shorty, but some used 5/7 mm semi-drys.

rash guard and board shorts are fine for Chuuk....unless ur a speedo kinda guy. the water will be warm warm warm @ Chuuk. i get a laugh at guys getting all geared up in full wetsuits BUT if thats what you are comfortable with, go for it. the truth is, you wont get pushed around too much on the wrecks, the current should be calm unless you are near a pass close to tide changes. you get some "floaties" in the water that give you a mild sting from time to time, nothing too bad. i've never encountered a live jellyfish in the FSM personally, seen some washed up on shore though.i sometimes use a long sleeve aeroskin zip up rash guard (they run small, get 2-3 sizes up) when im feeling fancy pants and all.Cant comment on GBR....its on the list.

Good choice Peter, I dived Truk a few years ago in my trusty Billabong 3mm steamer and found it to be perfect. I have also dived the GBR on a few occasions with it as well, enjoy your trips.

I did Truk with just a bikini or tshirt , even on penetration dives like Nippo and Shinkoku Marus.Used pantyhose for leg protection and t shirt or long sleeved shirt for top - no problems whatsoever. I've never been to the GBR though so can't advise there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom