Washing wetsuit in washing machine - top result - bad for the washing machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uniqueloginname

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I picked this tip up from scubaboard to wash the wetsuit in the washing machine, and it gives fantastic results - the suit comes out soft and feels like new - I guess the salt has been thoroughly washed out.

It made me think that the salt water may not be good for the washing machine over time - does anyone know? I thought it may be a false economy, and shorten the washing machine's lifespan by more than the wetsuit is worth. (It is an Asko machine.. not cheap.)

Thanks!

I wash mine on a delicate cycle in the front loader, but I always give it a pretty thorough rinse before it goes in.

By the time it's done I figure it has had plenty of fresh water flushed through the machine.

If it happens to rub against the non-spinning part when on spin, it will melt the suit - beware.

When I worked at a dive shop we had a customer who wanted his money back because his new wetsuit melted when he washed it in a machine...then dried it in his gas dryer. :)

LG front load with a small amount of liquid Tide, regular cycle, cold water and the extra rinse button. I do it all the time. 5 mil, 7 mil, shorties, boots, gloves.....in they go. Hang it all outside to dry. It's nice to have a suit that doesn't smell.

I might give it a rinse first, along with the rest of the gear, cheers for all the advice. It's so effective I don't want to stop doing it - 30 min normal cycle, cold water, no detergent or additives.

I wash all my suits, boots, gloves in our front load washer. I use the delicate cycle, cold/cold water, and max-extract. I use half the amout of liquid detergent for a reqular laundry load, and I wash them this way after every dive trip. My 7mm Henderson and Gold Core boots have been washed this way for 5 years, and the suit looks and feels like new. I hang everything to air dry, outdoors if WX permits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom