DIR vs Hogarthian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

Can someone explain to me, in layman's terms, what exactly the difference between these two styles are? I realize that DIR is not only based around standardized equipment setups but around team mentality and redundancy, but what is Hogarthian setups and style all about?

Thanks!

A Hogarthian equipment configuration is just that, it's a gear config. DIR is more like a religion. DIR incorporates the Hogarthian configuration into its religion, but whichever god you ascribe to insofar as PPO2, Gas selection and any number of other categorical decisions are concerned can impact your "DIR" compatibility.

I dive a Hogarthian rig but I am not DIR. Solo diving is for strokes after all... :) Personally I like DIR-L (light/like)

But ya, Hog refers to gear configuration and DIR refers to an overall holistic approach to safe, team diving.

Since a Hogarthian rig is technically not a fixed gear configuration, I think it's fair to say they're both philosophies. It's just the Hogarthian is limited to an idealized gear configuration while DIR is pretty much a holistic approach to diving that involves all aspects of your life.

Thank you for the awesome links!

And thank you all for the quick answers. I am curious as to what the advantages of these mentalities will do for OW diving. Any time I have brought up DIR or Hog. type equipment setups with my Dive instructor he's shot it down as solely meant for tech diving so I am a little bit wary of asking him for advice on how to run these setups.

Do not walk, run from that dive instructor.

There is a bad tendency in this industry to bad mouth anything that someone doesn't teach, sell, invent, dive....

I can't begin to tell you how many tech divers have had to sell all their gear and buy all over because they were sold "rec" gear that is unsuited for "tech" diving.

Buy once not twice.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

This website is a little condescending but it shows the difference between "rec" and "tech" and I assure you that "tech" can totally be used in an OW environment.

How Do You Cave Dive?

Oh lord, I don't even have a grasp on the overall strategy of DIR diving let alone those of the different schisms!

Thanks for the support, I will be finishing my OW course shortly (OW dive is in 3 weeks) and am unsure if I will be going back to him. I recently purchased a DSS BP/W system from Tobin and have enjoyed setting it up and getting it fitted. I haven't worn it in the pool sessions but am considering using it on my OW checkout. I am just curious about DIR and Hog style diving because it makes sense to me. I would like to have my gear setup this way, however my local dive shops, as well as my instructor have shown that that style of diving is only reserved for "techies"... *sigh*

Any time I have brought up DIR or Hog. type equipment setups with my Dive instructor he's shot it down as solely meant for tech diving

Simple translation: "I know nothing about what you are asking and that plays upon my inferiority complex. Rather than admit ignorance, I will dismiss the concept considered as irrelevant".

Back
Top Bottom