Cleaning Briney Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a great deal on a pair of Jet fins at a flea market. Other then being salt caked they seem to be in excellent shape. I have soaked in dishwater and scrubbed so far and while some has come off I still have aways to go. Do we have any magic household formulas to bust the brine?

The hardware is a little pitted and green. I can clean that up easy enough but will probably zing it off to change to spring straps.

Pete

It would seem that some warm water and a bit of scrubbing should get rid of anything so water soluble as salt. Are you sure it isn’t something beyond brine?

It would seem that some warm water and a bit of scrubbing should get rid of anything so water soluble as salt. Are you sure it isn’t something beyond brine?

Lacking the history I can't be positive but that's what it seems like. I have never let my gear go so I don't have a personal reference. I haven't tried licking it... yet. It does come off but the scrubbing, especially in the pockets and detials is a PITA.

When I was thinking of offering $10 and the seller volunteered $5.00 I wasn't about to play 20 questions. :)

Pete

Last edited:
Have you tried a vinegar/water soak? That might fix it better than just water alone...

I was also going to recommend vinegar. I use it to remove mineral deposits around the house from my very hard water. Get a couple of big bottles of the artifially made vinegar. Its real cheap, and is clear, not yellow or red colored like most vinegar which is made from fruits or wine.

1+ vinegar. I use white vinegar.

Pressure washer.... or just make sure the straps and hardware are all good and just dive them as well worn water warriors.

+1 or (+4?) for vinegar/water. That's what we use to remove salt stains off winter boots. A little vinegar in water.

The straps on jet fins aren't great, are difficult to adjust, and can just snap over time. Probably most people break them off and switch to spring straps.

Vinegar. But you may need to allow a long soak. Brine is not just NaCl -- it has calcium and magnesium and other salts in it. IIRC, all acetate compounds are soluble, and most of the calcium and magnesium salts will dissolve, albeit slowly, in an acidic environment as well. So vinegar should eventually remove just about everything, but it may take some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom