New DM Looking for insurance advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanothon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently became a PADI DM and have been assisting a few courses and am ready to start DMing for real. I am currently assisting 2 different shops and am wondering if I should cover my insurance on my own or go through each shop individually. It seems to make the most since to just cover it myself so I do not have to pay 2 different fees and I will have it in case I work anywhere else. What are your thought? Preferred insurance agencies?

If the shop offers to cover you then that would be cheapest option depending on how they do it. PADI's preferred insurance company is Vicencia & Buckley but there are couple others that you can use as far as I know. I got prices from them and they weren't really any cheaper.

Full DM insurance is for June 30, 2013 - June 30, 2014 period is $332.00. There is also an option for Divemaster/Assistant Instructor Assisting Only (2) for $223.00.

(2) Divemaster Member/Assistant Instructor Assisting Only option provides coverage to Divemasters and Assistant Instructors ONLY while assisting insured instructors with classes.

It makes sense to get Full DM insurance if you plan on leading any shore dives or group trips. I suppose if you were only ever helping in the pool or with another instructor on hand you could get the "assisting only" policy but for peace of mind I would rather have the full insurance.

If the shop offers to cover you then that would be cheapest option depending on how they do it. PADI's preferred insurance company is Vicencia & Buckley but there are couple others that you can use as far as I know. I got prices from them and they weren't really any cheaper.

Full DM insurance is for June 30, 2013 - June 30, 2014 period is $332.00. There is also an option for Divemaster/Assistant Instructor Assisting Only (2) for $223.00.

(2) Divemaster Member/Assistant Instructor Assisting Only option provides coverage to Divemasters and Assistant Instructors ONLY while assisting insured instructors with classes.

It makes sense to get Full DM insurance if you plan on leading any shore dives or group trips. I suppose if you were only ever helping in the pool or with another instructor on hand you could get the "assisting only" policy but for peace of mind I would rather have the full insurance.

...what he said.

What is your relationship with the shops? Are you an employee, a volunteer or a freelance contractor? If it is one of the first two answers, I would not be paying for my own insurance. The only time I would consider taking on a job where I had to provide insurance was if the pay made it worthwhile. My LDS have a policy that covers all their staff and volunteers.

The very first thing you should have done when you got your DM Card in the mail from PADI, is GET YOUR OWN INSURANCE. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that this wasn't pounded into your head by your instructor. CYA. and oh yeah, CYA. Did I mention, CYA ? Just sayin'

What is your relationship with the shops? Are you an employee, a volunteer or a freelance contractor? If it is one of the first two answers, I would not be paying for my own insurance. The only time I would consider taking on a job where I had to provide insurance was if the pay made it worthwhile. My LDS have a policy that covers all their staff and volunteers.

I suppose it is mostly like freelance. I get a certain amount of $ for doing things like DSDs. If I am on their insurance, that accumulates and goes towards the next 6 months of insurance and anything over what that costs is mine in cash or store credit. I'm checking at the moment it is just cash if I buy my own insurance.

The very first thing you should have done when you got your DM Card in the mail from PADI, is GET YOUR OWN INSURANCE. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that this wasn't pounded into your head by your instructor. CYA. and oh yeah, CYA. Did I mention, CYA ? Just sayin'

The reason I didn't immediately get insurance is that I didn't go straight into DMing. Now that I have sat in a a few classes and feel like it's something I really want to do I am ready to buy insurance.

The reason I didn't immediately get insurance is that I didn't go straight into DMing. Now that I have sat in a a few classes and feel like it's something I really want to do I am ready to buy insurance.

Seanothon,

You went "straight into DM'ing", the moment you got certified as a DM. You are now a Dive Professional, whether you like it or not. Again, your instructor should have made this VERY CLEAR through your entire course. Again, this is about CYA, especially in the presence of other divers that may or MAY NOT be under your supervision, or in your group, on the same boat, etc. Having your own insurance helps to protect you not only from yourself, but from "the other guy". We live in a very litigious society. God forbid anything should ever happen, but things do, and so do people. An unofficial "guideline" that is often put out there for DM's, is to never dive with anyone else that is not a DM or higher, when diving for fun. That's your choice. There are a thousand different potential hypotheticals and/or scenarios. Comprende ? I am not advising you what to do, just sayin'. When you get your drivers license for the first time, the first thing you do, is get insurance, whether or not you're driving or have a car. Make sense ? And again, I'm not advising you what to do, it's your choice. I'm just sayin'

Some people must love paying the insurance companies twice. The simple solution is to ask the shop the situation. If somebody goes into a shop and pays them for a DSD course or a guided dive, the duty of care towards that individual lies first and foremost with the shop. There is now a risk that if their negligence causes that individual loss or injury, they may have to pay compensation. The shop owner needs to ensure there is adequate insurance to cover that risk. If you are working as a contractor (i.e. you bill them and sort out your own tax etc), they may expect you to have your own cover.

This is a discussion you need to have with your 'employer' - not an internet forum or even an instructor. If you are told you are covered by the shop's insurance policy, make sure you see the certificate of insurance.

Seanothon,

You went "straight into DM'ing", the moment you got certified as a DM. You are now a Dive Professional, whether you like it or not. Again, your instructor should have made this VERY CLEAR through your entire course. Again, this is about CYA, especially in the presence of other divers that may or MAY NOT be under your supervision, or in your group, on the same boat, etc. Having your own insurance helps to protect you not only from yourself, but from "the other guy". We live in a very litigious society. God forbid anything should ever happen, but things do, and so do people. An unofficial "guideline" that is often put out there for DM's, is to never dive with anyone else that is not a DM or higher, when diving for fun. That's your choice. There are a thousand different potential hypotheticals and/or scenarios. Comprende ? I am not advising you what to do, just sayin'. When you get your drivers license for the first time, the first thing you do, is get insurance, whether or not you're driving or have a car. Make sense ? And again, I'm not advising you what to do, it's your choice. I'm just sayin'

To succeed in a case where negligence is alleged, the claimant must prove three things: a duty of care was owed; somebody failed in that duty of care; loss or injury resulted from the breach of the duty of care. Everybody has a duty of care, irrespective of whether they are engaged in a profession. A DM's duty of care when not working is no different to any other trained diver diving with friends.

Get your own insurance. If you join a pool that has a$1,000,000 worth of coverage that money is spread through everyone in the pool. So if someone wins a claim against one person in the pool for 500,000 then there is only 500,000 left in the pool. Get your own insurance, consider it part of the cost of doing business you must recover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom