Weight Setup for BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does the following weighting system make sense.

1. OMS Steel BP&W setup (6lbs integrated)
2. OMS Steel Single Tank Adapter (3.5 lbs integrated)
3. Extra Reg for Pony bottle backmounted (including aluminum mount) - roughly 3 lbs (Full and Empty will obviously vary)
4. Tank Trim weights to offset Pony (3 lbs Integrated)
5. OMS Ditchable weight pockets - 3 lbs each side - 6 lbs Ditchable only

Total weight 21.5lbs approx.

I dove very close to this weight with a 7mm suit (hood gloves etc) for quary cert dives and it worked well. I weigh 220. So what I am really getting at is it acceptable to only have 6 lbs ditchable? I have seen referenced in several posts that the average lift a diver can ascend with in a BCD failure sitation is roughly 15 LBS. So I know there are ways around such a situation (ie take pony and bail) but I am trying to nonetheless get a reality check here.. any input appreciated...
George

What tank are you using?

Did you double check your weight for the OMS backplate? I have a stainless OMS BP015 plate and it comes in at 4.5 lbs, not 6. I was assuming 6 until I actually weighed it. I also have a Highland STA and that came in about 2.5.

No did not weigh plate. Went off OMS manufacturer specs on their site. Same with the STA. Diving AL80 for now. Do plan on using same configuration with steel 100's soon.

You can probably swim that up, with a total BC failure after ditching 6 lbs. I much prefer a weight belt, and i'm not sure you need a counter weight for the pony bottle, I don't use one.. I just have lead on my belt.

However, going from an 80 Al to a steel 100 is going to require you to drop some lead, maybe 4-5 lbs?

Thanks for the feedbak. Makes sense to me. Glad to hear you were ok by the way DumpsterDiver..read your other post about switching the air vs Nitrox tank. Good input for someone starting out as myself. Keep sharing.

Safe Diving to all.

Looks ok and remember that you only need to drop enough weight at depth, should you ever have to, to allow you to start to get positive as once you are going up suit will be less compressed and you'll continue to get positive. Once on the surface if there is a problem you can ditch as much as you want. Unless you are seriously overweighted dropping as little as two to three pounds may be enough and allow you to still control your ascent.

Thanks for the feedbak. Makes sense to me. Glad to hear you were ok by the way DumpsterDiver..read your other post about switching the air vs Nitrox tank. Good input for someone starting out as myself. Keep sharing.

Safe Diving to all.

Thanks, you can learn a lot from my mistakes... I've got a 40 year track history of "stupid human tricks" :rofl3:

And remember, you will need to add about 6-7 lbs of lead for an ocean dive with that rig. That is way more than I would want to deal with having integrated with my harness/BC.

So if you are going to be diving in the ocean at some time in the future, it sounds like you will NEED a weight belt. Might as well use one now and place the 6 lbs on it for freshwater and 13 for salt...This will make the transition from quarry to "real diving" :D easier in the future.. Take my word for it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom