Dive shop lost my business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was at my dive shop to get my tank filled when two girls (late teens) came in to ask the dive shop if they buy tanks or scuba gear. Their dad was a scuba diver and recently passed away. They had five tanks (aluminum 80s). The guy from the dive shop said they don't get into used tanks because they are a health hazard.( I recently bought a used tank from them.) When I brought my tank out to put in my truck I saw the two girls standing by their car with the five tanks. I walked over to have a look and noticed a set of conshelf supremes in the trunk that looked like new. I told them I would be interested in the regs when the owner of the diveshop came out, grabbed them and said the regs were really old('81) and the parts are discontinued. I asked what she was going to do with them because I wanted to buy them, she said they had to destroy them because of liability issues. I use the metal conshelfs and love them. Mine are '78 and no problem having them serviced. I have heard several other people not liking this diveshop but I think this one takes the cake. By the way I live in MN and will going to a new diveshop. Can anyone top this?:shakehead:

Wait WHAT? Who is destroying someone elses property? Maybe I'm confused.... The way I read this is the LDS owner says that (s)he must destroy the regs because of liability issues but the regs belong to the girls? Is this a huge mistake on your part? Maybe the LDS owner doesn't want to deal is potentially hot gear? Maybe you were mistaken? Or maybe the LDS owner is a complete crook and one of those guys that sees liability under every rock? Tell me I'm not following you...

What they said.

the way i read it, "she (the owner of the shop) said they (the two girls) had to destroy them (the old regulators) because of liability issues." sounds fishy to me.

This ranks up really high in the list of stupid. The "guy from the dive shop"...is he just a retail guy? What is this crap about health hazards with used tanks? That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Then the OWNER came out and pulled that stunt with the regs? I'm with Jim, whaaaat shop is this?

You read it correctly. The owner of the diveshop ( Airdownthere) said "she" meaning herself had to distroy them because of liability issues. I since called the diveshop to let them know that they lied to the girls and the guy there said he bought the lot from them. Not sure I believe it. I believe they totally took advantage of them knowing they were not divers and knew very little about it.

Maybe we should all call them looking for some used Conshelfs?

The dive shop owner has no authority whatsoever to confiscate other people's property.

He does if he is a card carrying member of the Scuba police, ask him/her and they will tell you they are authorized for safety and health concerns of the public.

He does if he is a card carrying member of the Scuba police, ask him/her and they will tell you they are authorized for safety and health concerns of the public.

I'm a card carrying member of the Scuba Police (Badge number 469) and they never told me I could confiscate unsafe gear for the general good of the public. Bring on those unsafe predator dive computers.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom