Trouble getting fins on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Need help with a problem that might get me to stop cold water diving. I have a drysuit, only about 5 dives on it, having a lot of trouble getting my fins on. Can seem to bend my leg far enough to get the fin started. I have spring straps and even added some rope to extend the handle. Does not help. Any hints or suggestions? Most of my dives are shore dives, usually go out far enough to relax in the BCD but still unable.
Thanks

It's easier to stand up on dry land and hold on to something. Not always easy if you have to walk to the water from shore. When you get to the water your suit sticks to you and prevents easy flexing. Put some air in it and extend your legs and arms to place it in the right spot. I had my buddy put them on for me a few times, also have used my scooter as a crutch.

Once I even brought an old ski pole to help stand up in three feet of water on a cold water dive. The bottom was strewn with rocks I had a set of 130's on my back and a dry suit with a thick underwear and 5mm wet gloves, talk about flexibility.

With your suit and undergarments on, can you bend over and touch your toes? If not, then the suit is limiting your mobility too much, and this may be part of the problem.

For putting fins on when standing in the water, try the "Figure 4" approach: If you are putting on your right fin, put your right hand on your buddy for support. Pick up the right leg and bend the knee, putting the right foot in front of the left knee, in a "Figure 4". You should then easily be able to reach the right foot to put the fin on. If you can't get the foot in front of the knee, or you can't bend far enough to reach the foot in that position, the suit is too small.

I also have trouble with one fin due to knees that had too many years of hockey, football and rugby. Then one of the instructors mentioned that I have a mask and a regulator, don't be afraid to stick your head underwater and see what you're doing. It helps immensely, and now I pass it on to everyone I see struggling in the surf.

Thanks. I have tried the figure 4 but can't seem to get the fin on the foot properly to pull it up. I don't mind it too much when I am diving with my wife, I get her to put them on and then I put hers on. But when I go diving and she is staying home, then it is a little embarrassing to ask someone I have just met to put them on.

If my harness and DUI weight and trim are cinched I can lose some needed mobility. You can always adjust once underway.

I like to do the figure four method laying back in the water. Then the water is supporting you vs. trying to balance on one foot. I just lay (float) on my back, with my reg in, cross one leg over the other in the figure four, lean in and put the fin on. I find it much easier than every other method I've tried.

My drysuit and gear fits fine, but I am *not* a skinny thing, and with all my gear on and all of me it makes doing any contortions to get on my fins a challenge. My balance is also terrible, and any rocks or even small waves can throw it off when I'm standing to put my fins on. Also, make sure the spring straps are the right size. I used a pair of fins initially with straps that were too short and absolutely could not get them on or off myself. My buddies could barely get them on me!

Most of the time I'm lucky enough to be able to wade in and put my fins on while floating. I look at it as a two step procedure, more-or-less using a floating version of the figure 4 mentioned above---snorkel or regulator in mouth. First I put the fin on the foot, trying to get the foot into the pocket deep and straight. Then I get a hold of the strap and pull it over my heal. There may be some extra contortions and position changes in the process. I usually have to use my hands to pull my leg/foot into position.

If there's a little surf, I've been known to get one fin on and motate into deeper water before donning the second.

If you have to don your fins before entry, keep in mind the old trick of setting your fins on the ground, inserting foot, then pulling on the straps. You may need a buddy or convenient rock for this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom