Watch for Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
One of the university students I use to take out had an interesting concern. She'd always want us to check for turtles before she'd flip over the side backwards and enter the water. She said it actually happened once to her, she'd truly landed on one. We always had a good laugh when she'd be ready to go and we'd assure her the coast was clear and there are no turtles around.

My biggest drama on splash down happened one day when after the bubbles cleared I was staring at a black tip shark. I surprised him as much as he did me. We stared each other down a moment or two and he just swam off. Scared the H... out me at the time.

This can be a reminder when we enter the water you just never know what might be there.

Adventure-Ocean

Makes sense, though the odds are pretty low even somewhere as turtle-rich as Hawaii because they like to stay away from boats from what I've seen. Still, a vigorous backroll with steel doubles on would probably break your neck pretty cleanly if you caught the back of your skull on the shell of one of the giant Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles.

Was she shell shocked? :D

Always look one last time before you splash either going in frontwards or backwards.

Back
Top Bottom