My boyfriend has problems with his ears!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachpreach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm really not sure if this is where I need to post this question. My boyfriend and I are new divers. We just got certified this weekend. We started off in the pool and completed our certification at lake ouachita in Arkansas. My boyfriend has had trouble descending with his left ear. He goes down slowly and clears his ears early and often but it really bothers him whenever we ascend even just a bit and then have to go back down. He does have mild on going sinus problems so I don't know if that is the issue. I just wanted to know what I can do to help him. I want him to be comfortable under that water. I don't have any problems with adjusting my ears. I just clear them or swallow and I'm good to go no matter what the depth. We got out of the water earlier today and he was really in a lot of pain saying that his ears hurt and he felt a lot of pressure. He tried to clear them and nothing helped. They eventually felt better though. If any one has any advice it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Ultimately, he needs to get the sinus issue resolved. He could be all clogged up and it doesn't really present any issue until diving. Last year, I had a bad sinus issue that was only an issue during diving. I didn't have a runny nose. No nasally issues, but when I dove I couldn't clear my ears at all. There's was a ton of mucous(?) that was built up in my sinuses that didn't let any of the pressure through to my ears.

He needs to get his sinuses cleared out. If it's not terribly bad, a Netti Pot might do the trick. If the sinuses are really clogged, he may need to see an ENT doc.

Some people have problems at first due to being nervous and holding their jaws tight. As they relax with more time in the water that can help. Superlyte covered the other aspect in that he needs to make sure his sinus are cleared out also like he suggested possibly all he way to seeing a doc. Don't want to blow up an ear.

Indeed Sinus can be a bigass pain,the headaches afterwards can be killer
Swallowing and Wiggling the jaw might help a bit

What actually helps for me if sinuses or ears are bothering is the following:
Tilt the head up on the side where he struggles the most ( left/right,if both do one side at a time )
Pinch nose then swallow lightly,this seems to suck the excess air out

Clearing issues are not uncommon for new divers ... after all, you're using muscles to do it that you're not used to using, and like every other muscle in your body they have to be trained to respond as you want them to. Sometimes the issue is related to a medical condition, but most times it's more a case of atrophy ... which can be "cured" with practice. Without any more information than you've provided ... or without actually seeing your boyfriend ... it's difficult to tell whether he needs to see a doctor or not.

One thing I recommend to any new student who's having problems clearing is to "practice" out of the water by using the valsalva maneuver and blowing gently. You can do this at any time ... and the more often you do it the easier it becomes.

Some tips for diving ...

- Start by "clearing" on the surface, before you begin your ascent.
- Clear often ... as soon as you begin to feel pressure. I tell my entry-level students to try to clear every 3-4 feet that they descend.
- Blow gently ... don't overdo it. The point is to equalize the pressure, not overpower it.
- Don't wait for it to become painful ... by then you'll have to apply too much pressure to equalize, and that can cause injury. If it hurts, you're not clearing often enough.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with what several others are saying...clearing issues are common for new divers. It is a combination of nerves and experience.

However, if there is a reoccurring sinus issue, I would recommend seeing a doctor. Make sure he is WELL hydrated before he jumps in the water. Drinking a lot of water will help thin out the mucus.

Yeah, I kind took the common sinus issue he's had as the culprit. Even if it's not the culprit (which I think it is), he still should get that resolved for a healthier life.

Also, what she described sounds like the issue is on the ascent, not the descent. If his ears aren't clearing on the way up, this isn't nervousness or atrophied muscles, this is sinus block. IMHO

Plus one for the sinus issue. Medical advice is the best bet, but consider a claritin a couple of hours before diving, or a single small decongestant about 1 hour before. People's opinions on use of decongestants vary,( though I find them useful- particularly the small red sudafed) so a medical review is appropriate.
DivemasterDennis

Plus one for the sinus issue. Medical advice is the best bet, but consider a claritin a couple of hours before diving, or a single small decongestant about 1 hour before. People's opinions on use of decongestants vary,( though I find them useful- particularly the small red sudafed) so a medical review is appropriate.
DivemasterDennis

One RARE occasions where things seem ok but there is a SLIGHT drainage issue I will take a decongestant. You do not want a rebound underwater. I will use a 12 hour pseudophed taken about 2 hours before the dive. If you do go this route you want to make sure that is is a medication you tolerate well before diving on it.

If he is consistently having pain on ASCENT, I would see to it that he gets an examination by a good ENT doc. It is far more likely to rupture a drum with this type of problem than with equalization problems on DESCENT, because you can always abort the dive on the way down, but you have no choice but to ascend eventually.

This could be sinus or ear trouble, but either way, it needs evaluation and appropriate treatment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom