LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I just bought a 40 cu/ft tank from LP. Mostly to just dick around off the back of a boat whilst fishing (or cleaning the boat..). Split the cost between me and a family member so cost wise was pretty cheap.

Just picked it up today from the UPS store and go to get it a visual and fill to be ready for the weekend. As I get the tank out the shop owner asks me where I got the tank from, then refuses to service it on the grounds that buying online kills LDS.. Never mind the fact I have signed up for the dive club, was talking to an employee about continuing courses there and had bought tidbits there.

Then he goes on to tell me he is charging less then online shops. I know he just lost my business completely (closest shop is an hour away. But am I being unreasonable here or should I try and talk to him about this decision and it's ramifications?

Last edited:
The hell with him, find another LDS. You may still use this guy for fills in the future, but I wouldn't get anything serviced there not would I buy any gear from him.

Don't bother with him. He's pissy that you bought something elsewhere. We get people who come in with gear they buy online for service pretty regularly, we give advice to people on gear that they find online or on eBay as well. I'm the owner of a dive shop. Here's what it comes down to:

-If someone wants suggestions on items they want to buy cheap on eBay, we'll be glad to give it to you. We'll also remind you that while some items are a deal, some are not due to problems (especially true of regs). I had a guy determined to buy a cheap reg for $200ish on eBay. Told him it was a low end model but would work for his purposes, but to bear in mind it should be serviced because the seller was in south Florida which pretty much guarantees salt water exposure. He brought it in for service. It was wrecked inside. He learned a tough lesson.

-If someone gets a good deal on eBay and beats us out, that's cool. In your case with the tank he should have asked himself: Can this guy get air fills online too? What about VIPs? What about the other things he will buy from us because we were cool about his online purchase?

-Buy a used reg cheap online? Cool. We'll give you advice on it and if it's a good deal let you know that it is. You still have to come to us for reg service, air fills, VIPs, rentals,and all the other stuff you can't just get online. Not to mention most people buy a little here and there.

The owner of the LDS you went to is a complete moron.

1h is not so far if you buy several tanks at LP and then fill them in bulk. I usually take 5-7 tanks for the fills then use them.

Good to know. I am just concerned because the next closest LDS is an hour away. I am considering emailing him but I don't think it is worth my time.

Well currently I only have a al80 and the 40 now. I am thinking of splitting the cost on another 80 of I can find one that's a decent price

It's a symbiotic thing, work it out or resign yourself to one hour drives. I' d be Picard, not Kirk here. Talk or write, whatever your style. Maybe you just caught him in an off moment. Other than that he is bonkers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom