Wearing a snorkel in a pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was diving today at a local pond. Well, technically it is a lake but it is just so small... Less than a mile in diameter.

Anyway, it was a sunny day, clear sky. So I see a 2 divers with snorkels, I ask why they are wearing them. A guy tells me "We, scuba divers, are taught this way." And these guys don't look like new divers. These guys thought I was a swimmer.

Well, I understand wearing or having a snorkel during ocean dives or big lakes that can have waves. But such a small lake that has ZERO chance of waves even during a storm... It is not like you surface and find yourself in bad conditions.

It is a good trait to wear a snorkel when needed but when it is clearly not needed? Do they think that not wearing one on a lake dive will make you leave it at home when diving in more serious waters?

What do you think?

I think I always wear a snorkel in open water. What if I want to drop the tank underwater and snorkel around for a while? Maybe I want to take pictures of skittish fish and don't want the drag and bubbles of a tank? Lotsa reasons for someone to take a snorkel.

I have only dove in Canada and I ditched my snorkel on dive #5 (also known as the dive after open water). Do people use snorkels in big waves? They're pretty short so I can see them leading to more problems than they solve...

You can use for a surface swim to conserve air, especially if it's more comfortable to swim face down.
If you can wear it and it doesn't bother you, then why not?
Same reason some people always op to carry a 50ft spool AND a 150ft spool at all times. I know a few posters here have admitted to that.

Me personally, the only reasons I ditch the snorkel is when I'm diving a long hose outside of class dives, or if I'm in an aquarium tank. The snorkel tend to catch the long hose if I'm vertical and deploying or if I don't duck my head enough. Practice solved this issue consistently. You just have to exaggerate a bit more on the arm and head movements.
In an aquarium, snorkels becomes more of a liability than a help when diving.

I still use it when class, ocean conditions, or site dictates, even with a long hose.
If you have a solid set of skin diving skills then a snorkel is safer to use in rough waves than a regulator. Less risk of inadvertently closing your airway on a big breath + big wave combo when exerting yourself. Keep in mind a rolling wave can create a big pressure gradient. Similar to ascending real fast from a shallow depth.
The trick then is to do the San Diego Sci dive entry, pike dive under each wave with your BC deflated. New set of risks yes, but that's what training is for; pity it's left out of some classes.

I find the snorkel comfy and it doesn't get in the way, even though mine's a non-flex J-snorkel. Trick is to push it back on your mask strap so it comes in straight to your mouth. When you drop it, just rotate it so it's not jutting under your chin. And use a silicone snorkel keeper. Same goes for all snorkels really.

You never know when a snorkel will come in handy. I have a pocket snorkel, I have used it once in 100 dives but it was nice to have. It rolls up and fits in your pocket. The keeper is a velcro like piece that goes on your mask strap, the other part is on the snorkel.

OCNSP.jpg

I was in a big debate about this several years ago (might want to research it on this form). Some see the snorkel as a hamper but I see it as an aid. If you ever have to do a search and rescue it wil come in handy. If you do not use one then you have to hold your breath and then look up to get a breath of air...you might miss the diver during this situation. If you are breathing off your tanks, you might blow thru your gas that you will need to get to depth and recover them. All of this works better in great vis. Just my two cents.

I'm PADI trained, I'm wearing a snorkel right now. Also a mask, I'm afraid if I push it up off my face people will think I'm drowning.

That is what I am saying, some people who live through PADI training are scarred for life.

Lots of opinions both ways on the snorkel, NAUI requires it during training and I believe so does Padi. On the other hand, UTD and GUE don't. I ditched the snorkel a long time ago, I found it got in the way and more of a hindrance than useful. My logic: it adds absolutely no value while diving, in fact its more problematic than useful while you are underwater. On the surface….whatever.

I use my snorkel for snorkeling. I do not wear one when I dive because it creates drag, is a snag hazard, is distracting, and I actually feel less safe having it attached to my mask. Stowing a folder in a pocket is fine, but mine are usually already full of other safety gear.

Back
Top Bottom