Not sure if I can equalize one ear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattboy1

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been practicing equalizing my ears for a while now and I can easily equalize my right ear with a variety of methods but not my left ear. I never have any pain with it, so I don't think it's infected but I just can't get it to pop. Any chance I don't need to worry about equalizing that ear? Anyone ever heard of this or know whats going on?

Thanks

It should clear, and will have to clear in order to dive. My left ear is a little slower than my right, and it takes just a little more push to equalize. You might try pulling down or out on your ear lobe. Your left eustacian tube may be different (smaller, not as straight) than your right. Or you may have an obstruction, have you been sick, like congestion, head cold? Dont try to force air into it because you can damage your ear drum. Have you tried equalizing in a pool or some body of water?

Most people find one side a little easier than the other. When you say you've been practicing equalizing, do you mean on land? Sometimes an ear is so easy to equalize that you don't even hear it "pop" on land, but it does under water.

Most people find one side a little easier than the other. When you say you've been practicing equalizing, do you mean on land? Sometimes an ear is so easy to equalize that you don't even hear it "pop" on land, but it does under water.

This is really interesting, I have never heard about this and will try it tomorrow. Before I was always practicing on land. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

One more question I have is, whether on not it is safe to descend without hearing both my ears pop as long as I don't experience pain.

You should never feel pain. When it gets to the point of pain, you have already injured the tissue a little bit at least. Do not continue a descent if you feel external pressure that you cannot overcome. Often (even usually) just ascending a tiny bit--maybe as little as four inches in shallow water--is enough to decrease the external pressure to an amount you can equalize to. At that point you may continue your descent.

I would add that this is not a skill that you should necessarily "practice" on land. The conditions for clearing are not like those in the water, lacking the external pressure for which you are try to equalize. When you do get in the water, remember the following can be of use in clearing:
Exhale through your nose once or twice; roll your head from side to side; wiggle your jaw; use the valsalva maneuver sparingly and gently; maitain depth or elevate slightly and give the ear a little "time" if clearing is difficult.
DivemasterDennis

I dove 40 years with a bad side. The first ten years I had little trouble clearing both sides and often the pressure would clean my sinuses when the dive was through. After ten years I started to require Sudafed, a antihistamine or I couldn't clear the bad side. Just before I retired I found I couldn't clear that side much at all. Later I learned I had a deformed maxillary sinus on one side. I could have had it fixed long ago if I knew about it and had the money. If you have trouble on one side there is usually a reason. I missed quite a few good dives because I couldn't get clear and I experienced reverse squeeze on the days I forced it. Vertigo at 80 ft isn't an experience you'd like to have. Learn all you can about your sinus system and be careful when snorkeling or diving. I'm 61 now and can't do either. adventure-ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom