Felt like I cheated on my LDS...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mat4ov

Registered
Reaction score
It all started just a few weeks ago. I had been diving in a quarry and at 95ft my reg started free flowing. After I got home I did some research and the reg I have was rated to 50F (a fact I had conveniently forgotten) and at 95ft we were a bit below that temp (around 40F). So I talked with my LDS about getting a cold water reg, especially with the knowledge I eventually would like to get into tec diving. This particular LDS doesn't have a huge selection of regs, basically for cold water they carry Hollis or Sherwood. After doing some research and reading the recommendations here on scubaboard, I decided I really wanted to go with a HOG reg.

So yesterday I ordered a HOG reg from dive gear express. I feel a little guilty about it because to date I have purchased all of my gear from my LDS and I really like supporting them since they're always friendly, knowledgeable and just a great local business. Today I went to the LDS to change a tank valve since the new reg is DIN and my old reg is yoke. The owner asked me if I had picked up my new reg so I explained I ordered the HOG online. I was really impressed with his reaction. Although he obviously wanted my business on the reg, he understood I wanted to go with something he didn't carry. When we swapped out the valve on the tank he only charged me for some extras I also picked up and not the valve itself - he just did an even trade on the valves. I thought that was really cool of him to not take it personally and to do the even swap even though he didn't sell me the new reg which instigated the swap in valves.

He seems like a decent guy, your LDS owner. At least he understands and didn't get ticked off like so many other owners have. Here's the thing about tech diving, it's gear intensive. You're not going to buy everything from one manufacturer, because they all do some products better than others. I wouldn't dive a drysuit from Scubapro, because I think there are better options out there, but there regs are top notch. Not every shop sells Scubapro. Not every shop sells DUI, or Halcyon or X,Y and Z brand. You're going to end up finding gear from different places that will suit your needs. Deal with your LDS as much as you can, he seems like he's willing to work with you, so work with him. There will be things you're going to find elsewhere as you progress down the tech road, it's unavoidable, let your guy know that.

That's refreshing.

I know in this area shops don't have a deep inventory and I only have so much time to visit the 3 wondering if they have just what I want. A bird in the hand online is often hard to pass up.

Pete

I really don't know what makes us all feel so guilty about buying from another vendor. After all, if Albertson's doesn't have the thing I want, I run across the street to Top Foods without feeling the LEAST bit guilty about it. Dive shops create this climate of "loyalty" which doesn't exist in most other retail establishments, and I for one don't like it at all.

Sounds like your LDS is a keeper.

Mine's similar, he's disappointed if you don't buy from him, especially if its on price, because he'll often work with you. However, if its something he doesn't stock and can't get, he'll help you find the best deals, and see if there's anything that he can help me get for training, etc.

Don't feel guilty there mat4ov. Not every shop is everything to every diver. It sounds like your local business is an understanding kind of owner. And that's good. And you know they will be there for you if they can. And that's enough to know. Which HOG did you go with? B.

I really don't know what makes us all feel so guilty about buying from another vendor. After all, if Albertson's doesn't have the thing I want, I run across the street to Top Foods without feeling the LEAST bit guilty about it. Dive shops create this climate of "loyalty" which doesn't exist in most other retail establishments, and I for one don't like it at all.

I think I have found an element of drama in most shops unlike any other industry I patronize. I have been surprised to hear some amazing gossip come back to me and sometimes they seem worse than a bunch of old bitties sitting around the mahjong board.

Gotta disagree with that one a bit - Shop loyalty is a good thing in both directions. Customer loyal to shop and shop loyal to customer. Building a relationship with a dive centre is, in my opinion, very important indeed. It's regular business for the shop, and it's a known entity for the customer. Loyalty to the LDS or dive resort, however, does not necessarily mean exclusivity, and this, I think is an extension of what "loyalty" means - for example:

In this case, the customer wanted to order something the LDS did not have, but still returned for a tank valve service
The LDS held their hands up and said "you got me, I can't do that, well done, but I'm not going to disown you because you gave your money to some other guy"

That's a good, healthy, friendly, relationship to have, actually. With a LDS, that is, not with a significant other!!

Dive businesses and customers need to understand each other in terms of the service provided and expectation required - otherwise if customers go someplace else and find they have a better service overall, then business is lost and sorry - much as I would love to give it all away for free - it's still a business. If I can't offer something, I will happily recommend somebody who can, and hope that the customer also perceives this as "good service"

I say well done to both parties.

Cheers

C.

My LDS only asks me to give them a shot at pricing on a brand I can find online and that they also carry. They don't get uipset or begrudge me when I buy from a brand they don't carry. That's why I spend as much money with them as possible barring a few circumstances.

Buy a couple of drysuits and a rebreather from him, that way he won't worry about small stuff like regulators.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom