How were sharks percieved before JAWS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am from the Jaws generation and was born a month after the release of the movie. I opened my eyes in a world where sharks were believed to be evil. Now people are beginning to realize that sharks are not as dangerous as we believe them to be. For those divers who were around before the movie, how were sharks perceived? Was the fear of sharks something that Spielberg and Benchley invented or was it something rooted in human psychology from much earlier that they capitalized on?

Would love to hear peoples personal stories / experiences.

Thanks.

Look up some of the old Sea Hunt or Cousteau videos. People were not AS scared but still scared and considered them pests that could be dangerous so best to shoot em.

Great Whites' certainly gained more notoriety post-Jaws.

Previously, the public was less discriminating at the species level. Ha.

I read that Peter Benchley stated he would have never written the book if he would have known that damage that it would do to the reputation of sharks. He later became a conservationist.

[VIMEO]21137464[/VIMEO]

If you go to around 5:42, and watch the segment entitled "under the sea with the devourers of man: sharks", you will get an idea of how things were in 1914.

Interestingly, this is one of the first underwater movies ever made. It was shot in Nassau by John Earnest Williamson, and I use a clip from it in my lecture on underwater video.

That was awesome. I loved how they used the *whole horse* as bait, and it farted underwater.

[VIMEO]21137464[/VIMEO]

If you go to around 5:42, and watch the segment entitled "under the sea with the devourers of man: sharks", you will get an idea of how things were in 1914.

Interestingly, this is one of the first underwater movies ever made. It was shot in Nassau by John Earnest Williamson, and I use a clip from it in my lecture
on underwater video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Suggest that you invest in "20 Years Under the sea" J.E. Williamson, 1936, published by Hale Cushman and Flint

The book documents the difficulty photographing under the water a century ago. Note Chapter three " A duel with a Man eater" which addresses the sequence you so graciously shared.

It should be recognized that Mr. Williamson shot the underwater sequences from the security and comfort of his four ton "photosphere. " Safe and secure except when he and the native divers jumped in to the water---Perhaps the first "Shark dive?"

Mr. J.E. Williamson should be also recognized and certainly remembered as the gentleman who gave us the first full length movie of Jules Verne's Classic "20,000 leagues under the sea" photographed underwater utilizing his Photosphere..........

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom