Equalize trick - tilt head and put finger in the ear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meganm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I often hear Instructors tell their students that a good idea if they are having trouble equalizing on ear is to tilt their head so the bad ear is closed to the surface and put a finger in their good ear and then try to equalize.

Does anybody know if there is much truth in this being a helpful technique?

What an Idiot I spelt equalize incorrectly...

I have to equalize in that manner. My typical equalization is...

Look up, tilt head to left (to equalize right ear), thrust jaw forward, pinch nose, exhale gently against the pinched nose.
Look up, tilt head to right, thrust jaw forward, pinch nose, cover right ear, exhale gently againt the pinched nose.

If I don't cover the right ear, it will equalize again but the left never will.

Edit: This was the procedure that my ENT doctor and I worked out.

Thanks Bailey! That is helpful.

You mentioned about your ENT doctor recommended this technique too... I am also curious if there is an literature in support of the idea.

Especially since it works for you and other people I have dived with in the past claim the same...

I often hear Instructors tell their students that a good idea if they are having trouble equalizing on ear is to tilt their head so the bad ear is closed to the surface and put a finger in their good ear and then try to equalize.

Never heard of it, but it sounds like a good way to damage something.

Tilting your head is fine. It may stretch out your eustation tube, however plugging your good ear sounds like it could be a problem. The idea is to allow your ears to equalize, not force them to.

If you have problems equalizing, I'd suggest watching the Diver's Ear Under Pressure and if you still have problems, see a doctor to fix the problem, not figure out ways to generate more pressure.

flots.

Last edited:
There are many ways to equalize; therefore, you need to find the one that work for you.

The principle behind my covering my right ear is that the it is all one system. The air will take the path of least resistance. Once the right ear is equalized, I have to close that path to send the air to the left ear.

A lot if instructors I know teach this. Many students adopt the technique and nobody has ever reported a problem occurring because of it.

I am guessing it helps because when the head tilts in this manner the Eustachian tubes are opened. Also your ear is the highest point and air wants to rise up... and any mucus down.

Sticking your finger in the ear I don't think would have any positive or negative effect since your finger is outside your ear on the other side of the ear drum and is consequently not part of the 'system.'

Maybe sticking the finger in is enough mechanical movement to close the tube on that ear? Or at leasts helps make it more 'resistive' to air?

Talk with an ENT (ears, nose, and throat) doctor. Preferrably one that has dive experience.

My ENT is a diver and she recommended this method. To understand how it works think of hydraulic pressure. With your finger in your ear the water in that ear canal stays there, and since water doesnt compress, it keeps the ear drum from flexing. This puts the greater pressure on the opposite ear. Remember, you are equalizing the pressure on the INSIDE, not the outside.
This also brings up another thing that I have found to be quite useful. I have one ear canal that is very narrow. I subsequently get an air bubble trapped in it occasionally. This air bubble will compress so it creates an issue with equalization. I find that when I have trouble equalizing the first thing I have to do is to "ring" the outside of my ear canal with my finger while holding that ear toward the surface. The movement causes the bubble to break free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom