Most reliable receptacle to bring liquids underwater for drinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been using a 2 litre High Sierra's water bladder to go underwater to practice drinking in fishland. Could do it fine and comfortably. I had quite a bit left over from Sunday's session so I took a sniff at the water a few days later and it smelt chemicalish. I could have sworn that I'd washed it properly with mild bleach and rinsed it thoroughly including giving the hose a good flush too.

Anyway, today I tried again. Filled it with a few hundred ml of water, went to the pool and BEFORE I donned the gear, took a sip. Didn't taste too right but never mind. Poured it away, flushed it for some time and filled it up with bottled drinking water. After I came out of the pool, I could have sworn again that it tasted chemicalish. Could the valve have allowed some of the swimming pool water to leak in?

I also use a camelback hydryation bladder. The trick is to squeeze BEFORE inserting into your mouth, & use it as a one dive liquid. The bite valves do let stuff in so don't forget to CLOSE the tap before removing from your mouth.

CamelBak | HANDS FREE BOTTLE ADAPTER Attaches PureFlow Tube to Bottle

I use this type...

Oh, & I never put water in it - I alway like to taste something different - orange Isotonic drinks normally.

But it works either by gravity or a pressure difference. If the pressure inside the pack is the same as that outside, then squeezing or biting it before inserting into my mouth wouldn't do anything, right? That's from my severely limited knowledge of physics.

I have yet to find a need to drink underwater but I've read Capri Sun pouches work well. Regarding the Camelpak can't you just suck the fluid out of it if gravity/pressure doesn't get the job done?

I second Capri Sun pouches. It is dead simple and quite tasty .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

"The most reliable receptacle?" Your stomach (ergo- your bloodstream)

For 6 hours before the dive, pre-fill your stomach to acceptable levels with water. It's more than you think, and more than you might want to. Water with coffee or cola flavoring doesn't count. Alcohol the night before sets you at a deficit.

This has worked very well for many decades, long before the invention of juice boxes, camel backs... back to the pre-historic era when we hydrated using garden hoses.

If you sense thirst when you are u/w, you were already dehydrated before the dive. Drink lots and often.

A very simple solution that obviates any minor problem.

I firmly believe that the increase in juvenile ear infections and peanut allergies has been caused by the socio-clinical removal of garden hoses from our daily hydration regimen. That such hoses cause illness was first put forth by the Jenny McCarthy Google School of Medicine and Stuff.

Deco dives, serious periods (1.75+ hrs) of time u/w? Capri Sun works. BTW- how can you smell anything of chemicals u/w? Don't worry about a little Chlorine backwash- that's how Ms McCarthy stays so blonde.

Warm-water-pretty-fish dives? If you don't have to pee during that 1 hour swim- you were way dehydrated already. If you don't have to pee, you're dehydrated or you're a liar.

Side-slung, dual computer pool dives with a safety sausage? I suggest Bushmills in a flask.

[/standard rant]

.... BTW- how can you smell anything of chemicals u/w? Don't worry about a little Chlorine backwash- that's how Ms McCarthy stays so blonde.

Was on the surface that I smelt AND tasted the chemicalish smells. Actually, it was tasted first before I opened up the filling cap to confirm by drinking from there. That was why I suspected some of the pool water could have seeped in. I suppose that had I brought it out to sea and it tasted like saline solution, my suspicions would have been confirmed.

Anyway, it's not about being dehydrated. It's also about liking to keep the mouth moist and having a sip of liquid once in a while like what I do on land in daily life. Oh, and just because I can. :D

Although for the time being, until I find a more reliable receptacle, I won't be drinking underwater in the near future.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 10:48 AM ----------

.... Regarding the Camelpak can't you just suck the fluid out of it if gravity/pressure doesn't get the job done?

No problems with accessing the fluid inside the bladders once I'd noticed that the air tended to move towards the hose end because the attachment point was on the other side. My question was also indirectly asking others whether they had the same problems with theirs or did I have a faulty mouthpiece on mine.

I just hydrate adequately prior. Unless you are diving a zillion miles into a cave, just eat/drink at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom