Her First Dive Didn't Go so Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today I took my 15 yr old daughter out for her first scuba lesson. We have never tried in the pool, but this was a shallow spot under the Blue Heron Bridge and she is a good snorkeler. We got in shallow water and she had the accelerated lessons.. 3 minutes to clear the mask. I minute to breath w/o mask. 2 minutes to learn to buddy breathe with no mask and a quick discussion and demo of the buttons on the BC.

We’ve also talked about Pressure varies inversely to volume, air spaces, equalization etc. She is wearing her brother’s BP/W, and wetsuit and weight belt. He is snorkeling above us pulling the dive flag.

Visibility is excellent maybe 40 feet and there are a lot of moon jellies. They are mostly on the top 2-3 feet, but some are deeper. We head out and are maybe 100 yrds from the beach and see lots of pretty fish. She has better eyes and is pointing out tiny flounder, a pipe fish etc. I decide it is time to practice scuba removal and do a little snorkeling,.

So I drop my tank on the bottom and we go up and she inflates BC and removes and I dump the BC and set her rig on the bottom, near my tank.

We snorkel for a few minutes but the jelly fish make it no fun. We are getting stung a little and it takes a lot of concentration to dodge them. Little invisible tentacles are drifting and stinging as well. Neither of us have hoods on.

So I snorkel to the bottom in like 18 feet and get her tank and bring it up and she puts it on, I let her descend as I watch from the surface and then swim down and grab my tank. In the few moments as I flip the tank over my head (and my attention is diverted from her) .. .. she takes one.. a large jelly drifting in the current completely covers her face and wraps up in her hair. My son saw it from the surface and he dove down and ripped it off her face. I pop my tank on and she is rubbing her neck and frantically gives the thumbs up. Obviously, I should have paid better attention.

I have explained to her a bunch during lecture time that the instinct to run to the surface is perfectly natural and is expected, but we do not do that and we have also talked about how it is natural to take a big breath, hold it in and shoot for the top.

We have also had significant talks about how the thumbs up means we go up, and I will NOT try to keep her or anyone down…

Except now is NOT the time to go up. The surface is covered with jellyfish (they seem to drift by in clouds, where they are clumped together). I weigh my options and figure it is better to take her to the surface than try to deny her the ability to ascend. So we go up.

We get to the surface, I inflate her BC and she is crying and puts the mask on her forehead. Her neck is bad, there are already raised welts in large areas and the skin is discolored. DAMN! I am NOT in control of the situation. There is no immediate exit or anyone that can help. She is upset and close to panic. I quickly explain that we will get stung more if we try to swim back on the surface and it will be much better to use the tanks and swim on the bottom. She agrees and we drop down to the bottom and swim back without a problem.

We got some vinegar sprayed on her from the lifeguard and the welts went down pretty fast.

Kinda a bummer of a dive, but it was really an excellent training dive. We got a demonstration about the instinct to run for the surface, a demonstration that if she gives me the thumbs up, I will take her up and also a VERY good lesson that the surface may NOT be the best place to be. She learned that she can cry all she wants in her mask and regulator and she will survive. She learned that she can continue to dive while in pain and upset. We spent a good bit of time talking about all this stuff. I wish I had paid a little more attention to her and the jellyfish.

Bummer my gopro was dead.

The important thing is she is safe. Beyond that, it's all gravy. She got some very valuable lessons there that should serve her well in any future diving. While not the ideal outcome, definitely not a bad dive. I try to turn dives with my 11 yr old daughter into teachable moments as much as possible while keeping it fun.

The real question, dumpster, is is she ready to go again? I suspect she is. I also suspect she will get hours of enjoyment telling the story and in some renditions of it, placing some blame on you, rightly or wrongly. After all dad, your supposed to be the pro here! Thanks for sharing.
DivemasterDennis

I really hope you have repeatedly told her how well she did!
Even though her instincts told her to go topside, she had the wits about her to TELL you, and not shoot for the top immidiately!
Also, being able to go down again after such an experience says loads about the guts of this girl!

Considering this should have been a dive in "pool-like"-conditions, the blame is on you for choosing the wrong dive-site/time.
(However... I already think you know this... :D)

But.. good going by your daughter!

Sounds like she has the right attitude to dive. A lot of adults would have bolted to the surface, refused to go down again and tossed all their gear to the ground as soon as they hit land. My oldest-only 11, would have done pretty much that but then again, there is a reason I have not suggested he dive yet.

Very impressive self control and determination for a 15 year old...or 50 year old!

Minor High Jack on the Jelly Fish....
Was this do to the on shore flow that seems to have happened Thursday in much of the coast? I saw the local news reported jelly fish on Daytona and NSB and Wabasso was reported as 2 ft vis. It seems this might be an indication this time of year to for go BHB and most shore dives on East Florida coast.

glad all is well.....thanks for sharing.

She is one tough kid! I got a sting like that once while snorkeling and I can remember it taking my breath away. It felt like I stuck my finger in a socket. I'm really impressed at how well she handled it. Too bad it had to be on her first dive but I suspect she'll end up being the toughest diver in the family in short order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom