2nd shallow dive, Dcs like symptoms ?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam_999

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm new to diving, and had my 2nd dive 2 weeks ago. All was well during this shallow dive, went to 11 meters for 40 mins. Towards the end of the dive and around the 8 meters, I mistakenly inflated instead of deflating and had a quick speed ascent ( what a stupid mistake.)
Well went back to 5 meters after until the shore which took 8 mins. Surfaced,packed everything and arrived home. Feeling extremely tired and some mild joint pain after 2 hours decided to sleep to rest.
woke up with extreme fatigue and the joints and muscles pain increased, called my instructor and after reviewing the dive profile he said no way to be a dcs. Pain continued with restless legs. Took a flight after 48 hours and came back after a week. On flight all was well, but until today the joints and muscle mild pain persists.
can it be a mild dcs? Even with this short and shallow dive? I'm getting a bit paranoid, even though logically the dcs is far from being occurring with this diving profile.
Anyone experienced something similar? Any advices?

I suggest you join and call DAN, diver's alert network for more input, or see a local doctor familiar with DCI symptoms. Rapid ascent can cause a variety of injuries and symptoms. Best to get expert input. Rapid ascents that cause injury do not have continue all the way to the surface. All ascents, even those from 60 feet to 40 feet, need to be down slowly to be safe. Godd luck and safe diving.
DivemasterDennis

If you have had pain in multiple joints that has persisted for over two weeks and is enough to impact what you do, I'd see a physician. I think it's highly unlikely to be Type I DCS, based on profile and also the fact that DCS rarely affects multiple joints AND muscles, unless there's a much more significant provocation than what you are describing. (I suspect most divers in the Puget Sound region have had at least one or more uncontrolled ascents, without subsequent symptoms!) In addition, restless legs is not a symptom of DCS. However, you may have a physical illness that is producing your pain and which needs to be diagnosed.

The initial fatigue and discomfort could be explained by the rapid ascent and new diver exertion. The more persistent symptoms may lead to something else.

Pete

If you have had pain in multiple joints that has persisted for over two weeks and is enough to impact what you do, I'd see a physician. I think it's highly unlikely to be Type I DCS, based on profile and also the fact that DCS rarely affects multiple joints AND muscles, unless there's a much more significant provocation than what you are describing. (I suspect most divers in the Puget Sound region have had at least one or more uncontrolled ascents, without subsequent symptoms!) In addition, restless legs is not a symptom of DCS. However, you may have a physical illness that is producing your pain and which needs to be diagnosed.

Thanks. I thought so and going to check a physician this week. Actually the fact of having all that started 2 hours after my dive made me suspect a Type 1 DSC. hope I'll be able to unleash the reasons this week. Coming Saturday I'm going to dive and I don't want to be axious about it.

If you're a member, you could always give DAN a call and see what they say.

Yes, obviously see a doctor. 8 meters is just a little below where you can remain down indefinately without any real risk of DCS. Did you have to walk a distance with gear on?

If you're a member, you could always give DAN a call and see what they say.
I would liked to do see, but I'm diving on the Mediterranean, I dunno if its feasible to contact DAN from there.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 12:10 AM ----------

Well, I walked for 40 meters with gear on, some over rocky places. Is there any kind of analysis to determine if it's dcs or no?

I would liked to do see, but I'm diving on the Mediterranean, I dunno if its feasible to contact DAN from there.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 12:10 AM ----------

Well, I walked for 40 meters with gear on, some over rocky places. Is there any kind of analysis to determine if it's dcs or no?
dan europe

Actually, I don't think you need to be a DAN member to call them, you just need to be a member to get insurance, no?

Back
Top Bottom