Spear Gun vs. Spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catalina H2o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in the market for a JBL spear gun until I saw my dive buddy using a spear. Now I'm thinking about dumping the gun idea and purchasing a spear. $200 plus dollars or 30 dollars. Any info on Pro's and Con's would be appreciated. Does a gun have longer range, more maintenance, etc. ? Thanks

I love diving San Diego/Catalina

JR

Last edited:
We used to use frog gigs. $1.59 for the point and a free old broom stick. I guess it's illegal these days.

It just depends what you plan to do.

I've had hunter friends (long time hunters) state they've caught just as much stuff using a gig (hawaiian sling syle) as they did with their guns over the years. It just depends what you're going after. If you're shooting big game fish... you might want that extra power of the speargun, and something to hold onto if you hit it. If you're shooting smaller stuff, a pole may work fine and be all you need/want.

Different tools for different jobs and mostly just personal preference.

I have one of each.

Range: Depends how long your line on the spear is, and how powerful the bands you use are.

Maintenance: just like anything else you take in salt water, good rinse, grease/oil, etc. You will need to periodically replace the bands on either one though. The spear has one band, the guns have one or more.

Try them both, may shops will rent that kind of stuff, or borrow one.

I originally thought about going speargun, but after reading stuff probably go with a spear. I'm on a Spearing forum and they had some great info on spears and don't be mistaken, some of the really nice spears cost as much, if not more, than a speargun.

Also check laws for: State, County, City

Some supersede others, some are different than the next county/town only a 100 feet away. Some you need to be x feet from shore to use them. Some you can't have them at all on the beach (even going to/from water to the safe distance out).

Florida, for instance, has a bazillion spearing laws, then you get to the county level with all their own laws, then you get to the individual beach towns which most have additional laws on top of that.

and then you get to the actual enforcement of those laws... which can vary to being sticklers to all the laws to meh... keep it unloaded on the beach and don't wave it around and that's just for south florida :p

I find spear poles best for game fish under 8 or 9 pounds which are about the best eating size. Turn around time is way shorter to get them in the bag and be ready for the next shot. This is important when you find schools or daytime conditions when they are seeking cover. Red Fish and Snapper are about the hardest to get close to and fresh water Crappie is the easiest.

I travel with a JBL 3 piece and it performs well enough for me. I made an 8 foot pole out of a carbon wrapped surf rod blank that is kick ass on the larger fish. You can really load it up for power and distance, since I have a 2 ounce lead plug behind the tip end. The 3 prong expanding tip works best. This is also the tip what you want to use for Lion-fish, since you can drag it out of them once in the bag.

I love diving San Diego/Catalina

JR
Pole spear is fine for most rockfish, lings, and cabezon, which can usually be approached close-up. Sometimes I find myself backing away with a 27" pneumatic, just to have the room to bring the gun up, since a lot of those types will stay put or even come at you (lings). With a bigger fish like a lingcod, unless you use a slip tip or barbed tip on your pole, it can be tricky to immobilize the fish before it wiggles off the paralyzer tip. For spookier mid-water fish like calicos and sheephead - which we don't have up here - I don't know how often you'll be able to get within range with a pole spear.

If you decide to go Hawaiian sling make sure you pin a fish to the nearest rock or bottom to keep it from swimming off the end of the paralizer tip. I lost a few fish that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom