The other bootie zipper problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mudd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So there was a post about a bootie zipper that won't stay up, but I have the opposite problem.

There's a very sandy shore dive where after the dive it takes quite a bit of time to actually unzip and remove the boots back at the car. I do keep a sprayer full of fresh water that does help to flush the zipper, but it still requires quite a bit of force to unjam the zipper. This only happens at one particular dive site (I assume it is due to steep sandy inclines, both in and outside of the water).

Is there any sweet little trick that can be done prior to the dive to help avoid this?

I am fairly tall and my wetsuit will not stay over my booties through the course of the dive when I do the whole roll back down trick.

Get a longer wetsuit? :)

Maybe get some wetsuit material and make a couple of ankle coozies to sit over the zippers.

Put some wide elastic band over it to keep it clean?

I use ScubaDo Rags Supersized tube socks and roll them down over my boots. I put them on inside out so the rolled part has the colors. They help with zippers sliding on their own and keep sand out of the zipper. I just have to be careful removing them afterwards to reduce the amount of sand sticking to my feet.

Wax your zippers regularly. I use bow string wax for my zippers, soft enough to glide on but not gooey or sticky enough to attract sand and dirt.

I too keep a bottle of water handy when removing them. I pour some on the zipper before & after it's undone. Rarely a problem, even with lots of sand. The odd time it does get stuck a strong pull with pliers has always worked.

You could always get some booties that are stretchy instead of using zippers. Scubapro makes some like that.

Unzip the booties before getting out of the water?

Wouldn't you get even more sand in the open zipper holes while walking back and still have to wash that out? Could be a worse situation, I don't know.

Thanks for all the replies.

Unzip the booties before getting out of the water?

Strangely, I just assumed that the problem was created before I left the water, and never actually tried to unzip while, say, removing my fins (doh). Easy to try the next time I go to this particular site.

I do not mind soaking the boots in the tub and working to unjam the zipper while home.

I was trying to avoid buying more gear, but if the early unzip doesn't work I'll give the barrier idea a try.

I am curious about the wax idea fjpatrum: is this more for lubrication, or does it also help to keep foreign debris out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom