BCD Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panama Jones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone actually find BCD pockets practical? I keep my spare mask in my right pocket and spare flashlight in my left. Since most of my dives are dark and cold, I definitely need a flashlight and I am in 14mm on core with 7mm gloves. You people that dive this know about mobility restriction (try turn your tank off). I practice on land and in pool but I wonder about my ability to get a mask out of a BCD pocket in the dark with no mask. While trying to control buoyancy. My BCD and all of the rentals I have had seems to me that the pocket opening are up towards you armpits or chest (in the outer corners of your triangle) where you have other life stuff in the way. I keep the zippers open when diving.

Does anyone in cold water actually use them. This isn't for you that dive three mil in warm, clear water.

I use my BCD pocket for collecting fishing weights that I find. But those thigh pockets would be far more helpful...

They are more useful when I'm in more southern waters. Here in N.S. I have 10 lb. weights that clip on between the pocket and (old Genesis) BC. They create a very tight space in the actual pocket. In one pocket I keep my shell collecting bag until I need to use it. I can also fit a small-medium size shell in there if I don't bother with the bag. In the other one goes my foldable snorkel, which REALLY gets folded to fit in there--it is very difficult to remove should I ever really need it. Larger pockets to compensate would be nice, or sucking it up and springing for a new BC.

Plus one for thigh pockets if you need pockets. I have a tendency to clip things on rather than pocket them lights, camera, etc. The problem with a pocket is that there is a temptation to put something in it- like a shell or coral fragment, or small octopus. And as we all know, doing that is wrong.
DivemasterDennis

I clip on things like lights, SMB, etc, and keep my mask in a thigh pocket. I will occasionally use the BCD pockets for things I find and want to bring back, and I do keep a chem light stick and a spool stored in one, but they are pretty useless.

Even more useless is trying to put something in a jacket style bcd pocket while at the surface (like an SMB).

I gave up on jacket style BCDs a decade or more ago, and use a soft harness with wing. Must admit at times I'd like a pocket or two, but I can add one to my harness if I really wanted it.

I don't have pockets any of my rigs (all harnesses, wings, etc). The only "pocket" I have is one for my backup mask that I have clipped on to my butt d-ring, along with all my other stuff (spools, reels, SMB for OW, etc). My backup lights are all clipped and bungee'd to my shoulder straps for easy deployment.

I WOULD like to get a thigh pocket to glue on whenever I get around to ordering a new wetsuit for my backup mask. I don't like that thing dangling behind me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom