Reef cleanup for community service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon_R

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My daughter is a high school senior and new ow diver. To qualify for the state scholarship (fl) she has to complete 75 hours of community service. We are looking at things to do and thought we could spend some hours doing reef cleanup while diving. Looks like you just have to maintain a log and have a poc that can be called to verify the activity and time. I thought the captain would be the poc.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Lobster season recently ended so sure we can pull some stuff up. My son also recent ow grad will need hours to though he is just a sophomore right now.

If we did some shore dive cleanup I am not sure who we would get to sign. Sure I can't sign.

Thought it would be a good way to get some hours and probably under water does not get many of the hours kids have to earn in the state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Perhaps she could work with nearby dive operations to help organize cleanups.

I signed up via the site. Be ready to get in the water at 8am.. Might have to get hotel night before.

there's a pier cleanup on 9/21 in Lauderdale by the Sea -- which is thru Gold Coast Scuba & Project Aware Anglin's Pier Underwater Clean Up | Project AWARE
This group's content is available only to members - Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

i know it's a drive from Palm Bay though :( but

plenty of inexpensive hotels not too far away... make sure to let the shop know - there is a waiver i belive need to be signed since they close the pier during the cleanup. not sure where they are going to have us all parking though :(

I will give the shop a call on Monday to make sure it is all still on before I make travel plans. I plan to get a boat dive in that afternoon. If we are in the water at 8am I would think a 1pm boat would be doable. If I am going to get the gear wet and make the trip I want more diving before I have to clean the gear. :)

plenty of inexpensive hotels not too far away... make sure to let the shop know - there is a waiver i belive need to be signed since they close the pier during the cleanup. not sure where they are going to have us all parking though :(

Got my hotel and should be there sat morning. 3 divers and one non diver helper. Then planning to dive nursery in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I carry a mesh potato bag with me on all dives to put trash in. Also can be used if I don't carry enough lead. Just pick up a couple rocks and you're OK again. Just part of my agenda. More people should do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom