Another Accident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubakat

My condolences to the friends & family of this diver. What can we learn from this?

-kate

I'm speachless what a sad sad event. :(

I would like to know what the investigation shows.

That's just terrible and my heart goes out to his family. But I'm surprised there aren't more cases of this, especially when live-boating.

I'm sure we're all thinking of a million "what ifs" It's so sad to see this kind of accident happen. My regards to the man's family.:tree:Bob

That sucks. I can't imagine what might have gone wrong from the diver standpoint unless it was an out of control ascent. Sounds like the skipper has some serious explaining to do. If he is found to be at fault I hope is prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Scott

I think I've learnt be very, very careful when surfacing in Florida should I ever dive there. Wasn't Florida where the late, great Kirsty McCall died in a similar accident last December? Though I think that was a speed boat and not the dive boat.

Jonathan

of course my condolences go his family and all his friends, it's always a sad thing when a life is lost.

Beyond the fact the boat operator should have know where "his" divers were, in my training I was told when ascending make sure you look up and around -- if the diver had followed this simple piece of advice, perhaps things would not have turned out so tragic.

That boaters here don't seem to know or care what a divers down flag is, the DIVE BOAT is what ran him over. Was he near his flag? Did he do a safety stop? The article says it was his 9th dive. Was it diver error? As a side issue, I think the time has come to force boaters to have a drivers license for boats. Many boaters don't realize they are supposed to be 300' from a bouy or flag. We here in FL have gotten to the point of critical mass. Too many people trying to share the same water. Divers need a cert card. Auto drivers need a card. Fishermen need a card. Why not boat drivers?

Originally posted by Jonathan
Wasn't Florida where the late, great Kirsty McCall died in a similar accident last December? Though I think that was a speed boat and not the dive boat.

Jonathan

Wasn't she the one that was ran over in Cozumel? If so, it was a dive boat that got her, but not the one she was diving from.

Back
Top Bottom