Thoughts on Bahamas Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixiestyx

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody done this? Would you recommend it? I love sharks so I must admit that I'm intrigued though don't know exactly how I feel about the feeding. Any insight will be helped. Thanks!

If you aren't interested in a feeding, attend a dive at Tiger beach with Stuart Cove or one of the Liveaboards that service the area, or go to Bull Run in Bimini. They don't feed, but they do chum.

I have never been and never intend to go on any dive that feeds animals for the purpose of bringing them close to divers. It is a policy I have followed without exception since I was certified 16 years ago. To each their own.
DivemasterDennis

I've always thought it to be dangerous /ignorant and stupid ,but to each their own. I've seen mostly nurse sharks on my dives and have no desire to see any other aggressive or non aggressive species to figure out which They are at the moment.
i did come upon a group feeding the sharks on a reef in the Keys, nurse sharks ,jewfish,and a morey eel, we're being fed but you could normally see all of these on this reef without feeding them so what was the point.
if you want to do it have fun, hope they don't eat anything you want to come back to the surface with you,fingers , arms, life, ect.

Has anybody done this? Would you recommend it? I love sharks so I must admit that I'm intrigued though don't know exactly how I feel about the feeding. Any insight will be helped. Thanks!

If you're intrigued, give it a try. If it's not your cup of tea, then at least you'll know. Plenty of people enjoy it, otherwise it wouldn't be offered. At least the sharks can swim away if they want, not like critters locked up in the zoo. You've been to a zoo haven't you? Did you leave there feeling like your moral compass was malfunctioning?

I've always thought it to be dangerous /ignorant and stupid ,but to each their own. I've seen mostly nurse sharks on my dives and have no desire to see any other aggressive or non aggressive species to figure out which They are at the moment.
i did come upon a group feeding the sharks on a reef in the Keys, nurse sharks ,jewfish,and a morey eel, we're being fed but you could normally see all of these on this reef without feeding them so what was the point.
if you want to do it have fun, hope they don't eat anything you want to come back to the surface with you,fingers , arms, life, ect.

If you are ever diving and you see a large shark that is not a nurse shark - you will know what it is, no one will need to tell you!

If you are ever diving and you see a large shark that is not a nurse shark - you will know what it is, no one will need to tell you!
Thank you ,I know the difference in them actually,but my point is they are somewhat unpredictable,all of them.
i think a lot of attacks have occurred in the Bahamas over the years and some by people feeding sharks and not so much the shark attacking but the shark mistaking a body part as a part being offered. Whatever, stupid activity in my opinion . But hey,it's not my fingers so have at it.

Thank you ,I know the difference in them actually,but my point is they are somewhat unpredictable,all of them.
i think a lot of attacks have occurred in the Bahamas over the years and some by people feeding sharks and not so much the shark attacking but the shark mistaking a body part as a part being offered. Whatever, stupid activity in my opinion . But hey,it's not my fingers so have at it.

I didn't mean my post the way it sounded..... I meant it from the pucker factor- the first time you see a shark that's bigger than you are and higher up the food chain as well.

If you want to do a shark dive and see them in their natural state of being without chumming or feeding, come to North Carolina. There are sand tigers that live here year round and there are certain wrecks you can go to in which you are almost guaranteed to see them. The population is even larger in the fall during breeding season.

I didn't mean my post the way it sounded..... I meant it from the pucker factor- the first time you see a shark that's bigger than you are and higher up the food chain as well.

actually humans are higher up the food chain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom