Opposite-opening Cam Buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Someone posted in another current thread that his/her gear is configured so that the two cam belts on his single back-mounted tank open in opposite directions (to reduce the chance that a single U/W event will trip open both cam buckles simultaneously). This seems a good idea.

I'd like to hear what other experienced divers think about this. Do any of you configure your gear similarly? Ever tried this? Pros? Cons?

Thanks, and Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Mine are rigged with opposite openings. They are the Scubapro buckles which present somewhat larger entanglement hazard. It may not be necessary, but I see absolutely no down-side to that configuration.

And what possible event would that be?

I am guessing getting caught in some fishing line (or any type of line). However, I doubt that you could swim with enough force to open the cam buckle, more likely it would just impede your forward progress until you untangled yourself.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

Mine are rigged with opposite openings. They are the Scubapro buckles which present somewhat larger entanglement hazard. It may not be necessary, but I see absolutely no down-side to that configuration.

the only downside I can see is that if it is a significant entanglement hazard, then now you have an entanglement hazard from both directions.

And what possible event would that be?

Chrpai,

One possible event would involve getting fouled in fishing line.

I've actually been on a dive where this happened to a new-ish diver wearing a Scubapro STAB jacket. A group of us were diving among some submerged trees in Bull Shoals Lake, Arkansas, pobably at ~60 ffw. I was actually following a couple of new divers, a buddy pair who had just completed their check-out skills, acting as an "old pro, safety diver" (the instructor's term for us experienced TA's). Fishing line caught her cam buckle and tripped it open, and her tank slipped out of her backpack. (No real drama, for these divers were all extremely well-trained. She never really "lost" her tank, since it remained connected to her via her AIR II, and she retained her primary regulator in her mouth. She waited patiently as I replaced her tank and re-closed her cam buckle.)

The possibility of this happening is one of the primary reasons why I prefer to dive a rig that has two cam buckles (rather than a single cam buckle) when I solo dive in a thick exposure suit.

After reading the referenced post, I'm thinking now that configuring the cam buckles to open in opposite directions seems a good idea.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but when I think about the amount of force it takes me to "clank" my SS highland cam straps down and then add in the fact that the rest of the strap is attached by Velcro and the tip of the strap is buried down into the seam where the wing and STA is..... well, I have a real hard time imagining fishing line undoing that.

I'm not going to say it's a horrible idea to do them in opposite directions.... but it seems a little excessive to me.

I could see a loose ScubaPro style with the big curved lever coming undone. But mine are very streamlined.

I have mine opening in opposite directions, but for an entirely different purpose.

I have an XS scuba weight pocket on each cam band, and they work placed away from the direction of the closing/velcro. Since I want the pockets opposite each other for balance purposes, I have to have the bands going in opposite directions.

How much force dose it take to open them?

I can't speak for chrpai, but opening my SS H straps requires a lot of force - brace the tank at top and bottom and yank hard on the tail end of the strap level of force.

Hmmm, according to a certain CO dive shop owner, CO divers are exceptionally fit and would be over weighted with even an AL backplate.... are you sure you need those weight pockets? :)

I own some and did the same thing. For my individual situation I ended up not using them anymore. I was lucky to find several combinations of water salinity, plate, tank and wetsuit that work for me without them. My BlackBeard's trip to the Bahamas a couple weeks ago was pure ecstasy rocking the static trim with an AL80, SS plate and swim trunks / t-shirt.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2013 at 12:35 PM ----------

I can't speak for chrpai, but opening my SS H straps requires a lot of force - brace the tank at top and bottom and yank hard on the tail end of the strap level of force.

Exactly. I'm not sure how to measure foot pounds but it's got to be quite a few. Maybe 30-50lbs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom