Mask, online purchasing, and eyeglasses :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings to all the fellow divers here!
I am new to Diving, finished the PADI Open Water certificate only in the last weekend :cool2:
I wear eyeglasses daily, I think my number is around -5 to -6 don't remember exactly.

I am now considering, what is the best way to get a good mask?
The club where I did the course, says a diving mask with glasses fit in, would cost around 250$!
On the other hand, I am used to buy things online, and I see stuff is much cheaper than those prices.

Problem is, of course - fitting the mask to the face, I've read various similar questions on the matter, and saw that commonly the recommendation is to choose what fits best out of local variety, rather than order online.
But I have one more problem: as I said, I need eyeglasses, and in all my ebay/amazon searches, I saw no masks with mention of eye glasses.

I would also like a mask with the most view area, I liked in one thread someone was looking for an Atomic mask, which has the most view area possible, however again I cant find any information about fitting eye lenses into it.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions? especially regarding fitting eye lenses into such a wide view mask...
Perhaps if someone in my area has such mask (or similar), I could check the fit to my face...

Thanks!

Hi, My prescription mask cost about $140 at the dive shop-- which I thought was a steal. These are basically large format perscription glasses...they aren't going to be cheap. I think its best to buy your mask from a dive shop. I'm not certain about the $250 cost, but you prescription -5/-6 is pretty severe, so that might account for it. My reccomendation is to visit a couple shops and try on all the mask options, maybe your dive shop isn't carrying a broad spectrum in different price points. I have also heard that you can purchase a regular mask and bring it to your eye Dr who can glue perscription lenses in. I'm not certain about the cost or the end-product, but it might be worth asking you optomitrist about it. But at the end of the day we want to see when we're diving, so you'll probably have to bite the bullet. Good luck!
Melissa

My prescription mask is a regular mask for around $60 plus $30 for each -7 lens, got it from my LDS. They don't have to be super expensive, but fit is paramount.

Not all masks can be fitted with prescription glasses, in fact there's only a small number of them that are designed for that purpose. As such, your choices are limited and the only way to turn any random mask into a prescription mask is by using add-on lens inserts, which I'm not sure I would like to use personally.

My prescription mask is a regular mask for around $60 plus $30 for each -7 lens, got it from my LDS. They don't have to be super expensive, but fit is paramount.

Not all masks can be fitted with prescription glasses, in fact there's only a small number of them that are designed for that purpose. As such, your choices are limited and the only way to turn any random mask into a prescription mask is by using add-on lens inserts, which I'm not sure I would like to use personally.

Same here. Regular mask with generic lenses.

Not as exact as my glasses, but it hasn't bothered me while diving.

I glued a small round magnifier to the inside of my mask. I use progressive lenses but with the magnifier I can read all my gauges and it is easy to ignore when I don't need it. The cost was $14.00, I had the mask already.

All my masks have prescription lenses. My primary is an Atomic subframe and the backup is a generic mask who's brand I don't remember. I don't remember my diopter value at the moment but I think not quite a high as yours. The LDS should know the limits. Atomic does say they can do it in the factory but they don't mention cost. They do say they can do it from -1 to -8 in 0.5 increments. I do not recall which vendor my LDS used.

The lenses in both were ground i.e. not glued in over the existing stock lense. 12-14 years ago I had a mask with glued in lenses which worked but were heavier. I get the prescription lenses done via an LDS. I give them my prescription (diopter value) and they send the mask and it comes back with lenses installed. I recall that it was 60-80 dollars for both lenses for my backup mask. The Atomic subframe was quite a bit more expensive than my backup but I recall I paid somewhere around $120-140 for the backup with lenses. I would check on the prices as I don't remember exactly.

The Atomic subframe with lenses could very well be around $250 total - the mask is more expensive. I like it as it has bigger glass and it is a lower volume mask (compared to ones I used 15 years ago which were higher volume but had side glass - Hawaii 4 style which I kind of miss).

Definitely try on a mask before buying it. Possibly you can order online, try the fit and then get the lenses. It might be a chore getting an LDS to do the lenses for you if you don't get the mask from them. However I have gone to LDS' with an internet quote to see what they will do. Sometimes they match or get close. If it's close then I order through them and in your case, would get the lenses through them. Caveat: I don't know your choices in Israel for LDS'.

Fit is the biggest thing to worry about. We sell the Scubamax Navigator which tends to fit quite a bit of faces. Seems to me that with bifocal reading lenses they're around $70-80 and we install them for free.

Many divers simply use contact lenses. But assuming you have ruled that out, getting a well fitting mask is most critical. Spending extra money for a prescription mask that doesn't fit frustrates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom