Cylinder Rupture at Dive Shop in Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds like a nurse tank, ...
What is a "nurse tank?"

Judging from the photos the tanks look like HC-4500s. If I were a betting man, I'd betcha that the tanks were out of hydro and exploded while the bank was being filled.

What is a "nurse tank?"

Judging from the photos the tanks look like HC-4500s. If I were a betting man, I'd betcha that the tanks were out of hydro and exploded while the bank was being filled.
I guess that's an agriculture term, maybe not used elsewhere. It's the big tank used to fill smaller tanks, in particular portable ammonia tanks.

I thought it was a storage tank that exploded, but maybe it was a smaller one...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a storage tank, too - see my post above.
Yeah, I was thinking of one big tank - and I have seen some shops use those, and you were thinking of a bank of tanks about the size that welders use for oxygen - 300 CF high pressure? The news story mentioned 3,000 psi, but either a large tank or a bank - they store higher pressures than that don't they? Was that what you meant by 4500?

The big blue tanks in the photo looks like HC-4500 tanks
Often used for banking gas
I pump mine to 4,500 PSI although I think the rated pressure is higher than that

... according to what I read elsewhere, Waynne said it was a stage bottle that blew ... I don't know anymore than that yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All that from a stage bottle? Makes you appreciate proper cylinder maintenance and inspections, huh?
So was it a 6351 or out-of-date cylinder, or an inattentive compressor operator who over-pressurized the cylinder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom