Rescue Diver Course - I can't recommend it based on my recent experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blandmc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just recently got my PADI Rescue Diver certification. I took the course because I felt that if I was participating in an activity like SCUBA, I felt it was my responsibility to get all the training to be able to help myself and others. I knew I had an upcoming holiday in Phuket, Thailand, but I wanted to make sure I approached the course seriously and had enough time to really learn. So I opted to do all the initial coursework and confined water work at my own pace where I live in Shanghai, and just do the open water part on referral on holiday. I did this because I didn't do that when I did my open water and I found that it was very rushed in holiday resort places and they didn't take it so seriously.

For the study part, I thought it was well worth it. And I enjoyed the training I did in Shanghai. I really felt I could learn a lot from the course and I was excited for the open water training and rescue scenarios. I was under the impression that it would be a 2 day open water course, where the first day would be training and demonstrating all the rescue skills I had practiced in a pool so the instructore could be sure I could also do them well enough in open water. And I understood that day 2 would be just me diving on a boat with other divers and at some random times throughout the day there would be some pretend rescue scenarios and I would need to react to them.

However, this is not how it happened. For the open water portion, most of the scenarios were done all day the first day when I thought I was supposed to be training. From the moment I entered the boat on Day 1 I was told, "You are the rescue diver on the boat today. No one else will respond to any emergencies. It's all on you. Be prepared." That was my introduction and the first thing I had in working with this new instructor since I was doing the open water portion on referral.

That first day, there were 2 different diver overboard emergencies - one who really did his best to drown me since he had refused to accept the line/buoy I threw to him from the boat. And several times in each dive which I was told I could just relax and dive for a while before we did some training, my instructor suddenly had her regulator out and was "out of air" and rushing for mine. This was very unexpected as I thought I was just supposed to demonstrate skills the first day and the second day would be all the mock emergency scenarios.

Finally on the 3rd dive the first day I was told I was the divemaster for a group of new students (3 instructors pretending) and they all had emergencies. One man in particular had about 15 emergencies in the 50 minute dive including losing a fin, 2 emergency assents, 1 emergency descent, going the wrong way from the group as fast as he could in low viz (4m) multiple times, out of air multiple times, randomly coming up to me and pulling my regulator out. I felt that it was a bit overdone and really made the course stressful and not in the least bit enjoyable or rewarding.

On Day 2 there were no rescue scenarious but because of how they acted on Day 1, I was expecting them and constantly watching everyone, I didn't want to take off my wetsuit because on day 1 they had waited each time I took of my gear to have an emergency... so I was stressed all day waiting for something to happen which never did. But the asked me to again demonstrate an unconscious diver at the surface (I had already done this a few times on day 1) and of course this time they picked a 300 lb man. No issues with that but the current was sooooo strong that it was impossible to tow him to the boat. In fact it would have been impossible to swim on my own. I was then criticized for accepting the tow line that was thrown to me when I called for help [though I feel it was the right thing to do].

All in all I feel that there should be some challenge of course, but I would preferred more focus on training the first day as the course is described and then maybe only a few rescue scenarios the second day which are more reasonable. At a certain point when the emergencies are coming in constantly the rescue diver is unrealistically on guard and in addition to the stress being high the whole day and diminishing any potential enjoyment from the course, it also is not mimicking the sudden onsent of an emergency situation in real life.

I am sure everyone's experience is very different depending on which dive shop and which instructor they have, but from my personal experience I would never recommend this course to anyone who is not trying to become an instructor. The course I took was hell. It was not enjoyable. It was stressful beyond what it needed to be and seemed to have more of a focus on "hazing" me rather than training me. If that's the case, really the only people that need to be hazed up through the ranks are future instructors.

I am glad its over... I can't really be objective yet about whether or not / how much if may have benefited me... but maybe the next time I dive, I may feel something different and maybe with time I may realize some value from it. I hope others have a better experience/feeling from their rescue course than I did.

Wow. I've never read a post like that regarding Rescue with so many emergencies one after another. My course certainly wasn't like that.

Reactions: D_B
Humm we may differ on what you went thru but I think that you really got your money worth. You might not know it now but multi mistakes with several divers happens all the time with open water divers when you are dive mastering. i.e. 1 is over weighted and you assist the diver in putting air into the divers BC, another diver is going the wrong direction or checking out something and not staying with the group, another one has blown thru their gas and needs either air sharing or assistance to the surface, etc. My class was hard and I felt great when I finished it but glad that I took it. I still reflect on those skills and use them very often. Give it some time and if you dive enough you will use what you learned. OBW congrats on finishing the class.

Wow, I just finished rescue a couple weekends ago. I really enjoyed it but I also thought you really got a lot of good scenarios handed at you. I understand it was stressful, but I am sure that will help you be more aware and ready in the future. The only issue I had at all with your description is that they gave you a bad time for asking for help when you were attending to an unconscious diver. That makes NO sense at all. Of course you should ask for help and they should promptly and willingly provide it!

I agree with Keith. Only a fool would try to manage an unconscious patient alone when help was available. That said, the SSI "Stress & Rescue" course is as much about managing your own stress as rescuing divers. I am unsure how the curriculum compares exactly with PADI. This is probably more important than simply rehearsing towing and drills, as it empowers you to deal with stressful and difficult situations, and to problem-solve on the fly.

I have done Rescue twice, once with an SDI shop, and once SSI (although I suspect it was more to do with the ethos of the store than their cert cards). The SDI course was "learn the book, practice the skills", couple of dives, minimum effort, and I felt like I hadn't achieved much. I certainly didn't develop as a diver at all.

I expected the SSI course to be identical, and only did it because it was included as a freebie with other training, and I would have felt like a douche skipping out on the others in the group. It was an entirely different experience, and one that focussed on managing your own stress as well as the rescue skills. The open water session was a whole day in cold water and ****ty vis, with dozens of practice scenarios...and a terrific learning experience for it. Possible the best course I never paid for!

I know that without being challenged in the way I was during Rescue, I would have been under-prepared for difficult divers as a DM. Instead, even the most crazy and suicidal ones are a harmless frustration (most of the time!).

Blandmc, it obviously doesn't feel like it now, but I think you may in fact have got much more training for your money than you realise...

Dave.

I wish that was how my course was... I got the typical here are the skills, here are a couple scenarios in open water. Have a beer, hot dog and cert card at the end of the day...

So your instructor took the scenarios a bit beyond what is normal. As others have said, you got more than your money's worth! What are you complaining about? The title of your thread is quite alarmist: "Rescue Diver--I Can't Recommend it ..." Surprising you by reversing what normally happens on the two days must really have kept you on your toes. And the high number of scenarios! I only wish my Rescue course had stressed me to my limit as yours did. I was exhausted after a full day of scenarios, so I can only imagine how you felt after having done so many more. It sounds like you got some GREAT training.

Not having been there, it's hard for me to judge whether your instructor over-did it to the point of injecting an element of "hazing." Consider that in the Divemaster course there is the "underwater gear exchange" that's designed to do no more than STRESS the diver while he's solving a problem underwater. That exercise is basically about handling stress. As a Rescue Diver, you're one step away from Divemaster. Training at this level WILL (or should) involve stress to one extent or another. If your instructor went a little too far with it, just try to put it behind you. You're a Rescue Diver now, and probably a competent one.

I expected the SSI course to be identical, and only did it because it was included as a freebie with other training, and I would have felt like a douche skipping out on the others in the group. It was an entirely different experience, and one that focussed on managing your own stress as well as the rescue skills. The open water session was a whole day in cold water and ****ty vis, with dozens of practice scenarios...and a terrific learning experience for it. Possible the best course I never paid for!

Dave.

I took the SSI Stress and Rescue (and have now assisted twice with the class), and I agree with Dave. We spent a long pool session working on the skills, which was very involved (there were three of us). Then a full day in our quarry, cold water and poor viz. After a full day, I was exhausted, but knew I had learned a lot- more than I have learned in any other class.

While you feel the class was overdone, IMO, that is better than a course which is light on scenarios. We did 10-15 scenarios each, then a couple of long, combined, multiple issue rescues, and while not fun, that is where I feel you learn the most.

Terry

I wouldn't let your experience deter people from taking the course - mine certainly wasn't like that. I did mine with my club. The skills were taught over three Monday evenings on our pool night and then we did a day at the quarry we use for training. The pool sessions were very relaxed but the day of the open water session, it was raining heavy and blowing a hooli - there were waves in there, which I have never seen before. The wind was blowing away from the entry point and in February, it was bloody cold!

The open water session was hard work, but very rewarding. The previous pool sessions meant we had a good understanding of the skills and the opportunity to practice them before being thrown in at the deep end.

It is good to make rescue courses as realistic as possible, however, I do not like the idea of expecting students to learn the skills with no tuition and then put into a scenario. The OP's course sounds more like an assessment than tuition.

Wow -- I read the report of the class, and except for the fact that you weren't given any time to acclimate, I thought, "What a great Rescue class he got!" Most students only get to handle a couple of issues, and you got to deal with a whole raft of them. It may have been stressful, but think about how much you learned!

And as far as the second day, and being on guard all the time . . . I honestly think that's one of the things everybody SHOULD get from a Rescue class. If you come out of the class with a heightened awareness of where the opportunities for problems exist, and you are watching for them and thinking about how to avoid them or deal with them if they occur, you really have learned the lesson from Rescue. It's not so much about handling specific problems, as it is a mindset that problems can occur anywhere, and divers should be thinking about how to keep them from occurring, and how to deal with them when they do.

Sorry you didn't like it, but it sounds like one hell of a class.

Back
Top Bottom