certification process questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenacious

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I was just open water certified through SDI and I was given the PADI book for advanced open water by my instructor. I believe I will be certified through SDI for advanced open water as well, because I remember hearing that SDI recognizes PADI's "book" training or something along those lines.
I was told to complete the following sections:

deep
underwater navigation
peak performance buoyancy
night
and drift sections

I was bored, since I am 1,100 miles and a few months away from diving again, so I completed every single section in the book in addition to the ones recommended to me by my instructor.
they include:

altitude diving
aware fish ID
boat diving
diver propulsion vehicle
dry suit
multilevel computer diving
search and recovery
wreck diving
underwater naturalist
underwater photography
and underwater videography

I wont be able to complete my check out dives until after Christmas, and I have plenty of free time on my hands until then, so my question is this; Can I take the rescue diver and/or the divemaster courses prior to actually being certified "advanced open water", or doing any of my check out dives?
I looked on PADI and SDI's websites and I am able to purchase both courses through both of them without any "dive credentials", so it can be done I think. Is this something that's frowned upon by instructors?

Right now would be the perfect time for me to knock out all the book or online stuff if I can. I got certified while I was in Florida moving my family down there. I returned to NJ to finish up some work obligations, so I am here in a big empty house solo and can put some serious time and energy into the classes.

thanks in advance for you insights.

Last edited:
Can’t speak to SDI, but from a recent PADI instructor manual:

For Rescue course:
…Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
Doubt all instructors know this – I didn’t until you asked.

For DiveMaster course:
Prerequisites
Certified as a … Rescue Diver…

Of course, if you get ahold of a Rescue course book, no one can prevent you from reading it.

Both classes you mentioned have a prerequisite number of dives prior to enrolling in the class. The online training is a way of doing the academic portion of a class before you begin the practical phase but they are not certification classes only a component of that class.
SDI does not recognize other agency's book training but you may be thinking of a cross agency referral where an instructor from one agency can begin your class and then complete the class with a different agency and instructor. It is most common in open water class but can be applied at several levels.

A prereq for PADI Rescue is being an Adventure Diver (3 dives, AOW is 5 dives), with one of the three dives being Underwater Navigation. There is no "number of dives" prereq, although it would take at least 7 dives to be OW and also get the Adventure rating. You also need a current (2yrs) EFR card. So the answer to your question is No, you cannot do Rescue without doing at least some of the AOW dives.

DM requires the full AOW as a prereq, plus Rescue, plus current EFR, plus 40 logged dives.

As a PADI Master Instructor, I'd be hesitant to take on a Rescue student who has the bare minimum qualifications, especially number of dives. Rescue requires a solid comfort level with one's own diving, because there is more than enough stress in dealing with the person being rescued. I've only had a few students quit the Rescue class, and they were all minimally qualified and overly self-confident. Don't try and go too far too fast.

SDI has similar requirements for its Rescue and DM levels, and I think the conclusion will be the same.

I would not be doing the online courses with the intention of getting the certifications as soon as I am done. I am just trying to knock out the academic portions now while I am living in relative peace and quiet.
the dive and cert requirements are to be certified, not to do the academics I believe.

my intention would be to review any of the material that I have completed when I get back to Florida, then do my AOW checkout dives.
I don't see a difference academically if I do the rescue course after completing AOW, or I already have it completed. I'm sure that if my instructor felt I wasn't ready for the diving portion of it, she wouldn't hesitate to let me know that. the same would be true for the DM class. If the academics are done prior to me having 40 logged dives, then on my 40th dive, I would be ready for the wet portion of the DM certification portion if my instructor felt I was ready. If nothing else, I would be a very knowledgeable AOW :)

If I was in Florida right now, none of this would even be a question. I would take things one step at a time like "normal". My situation is unique though, since I am able to devote 99% more time to doing this stuff while I am not in Florida compared to when I get back there.

wetdive: I may be mixing up what I was told, maybe my instructor is both an SDI instructor and a PADI instructor, I'm not really sure. I do remember thinking that I was to be certified SDI even though I was given the PADI book. I will try to get the answer from the instructor to clarify.

thanks for the info so far!

rescue diver online course completed last night in around 4 hours....
I will get the divemaster started sometime this weekend I suppose.

I fear you are confused about the written material versus actually learning something in the water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I applaud you for wanting to learn more, and the interactive online classes are a very engaging way to do that. Of course, the actual diving required for the classes is pretty important, too, but you can get to that when you have water to dive in.

As long as you are enjoying online classes, why don't you look at the UTD online classrooms? They will present some material you are not getting from what you are currently doing, and I think you might find them interesting.

rescue diver online course completed last night in around 4 hours....
I will get the divemaster started sometime this weekend I suppose.

I would get some dives first, I have it to. I just want to get as far in diving as I can. But it would be wise to master the basics before moving on to dm.

Jord

Thank you TSandM, I will look into those classes, maybe I can take them and ruffle a few more feathers, lol.

I would like to thank everybody for their opinions, I honestly do appreciate them, but I have to ask; why all the negativity? Only a couple of the replies haven't been discouraging to say the least. I'm not claiming to be advanced, rescue, or a dive master, I am simply taking the online classes.
I am in constant contact with my instructor about what I am doing. I asked this question on here first to avoid bothering her with possibly a "dumb" question. She is a PADI IDC staff instructor, as well as an SDI instructor. I got her blessing after I found out that I could take the online classes without the certs on here. this is part of her response to me asking if she thought I should take the rescue class:

"I am so happy to see you enthusiasm hasn’t dwindled in the cold. The answer to your question is YES. We just can’t start any of the Rescue Diving water exercises until Advanced Open Water is 100% complete including all dives. Are you planning to do PADI or SDI? Both are great programs. I will be doing another Rescue program right at the first of the year. You are on your way MR. DIVEMASTER CANDIDATE!!! I hope you’ll consider the DM program. You would be an excellent addition to the Professional ranks."

This forum is great, a month ago I didn't know a thing about scuba. since then I believe I competently purchased all of my own gear, (most of which was purchased prior to me ever going into a dive shop, diving, taking classes, etc). purchasing equipment went against 90% of peoples opinions when I asked about it in another thread. oddly enough, 100% of the private messages I got told me to go for it and recommended brands to buy, what worked for them, etc.

As per my instructors response as posted above, she intends to hire me on as a dive master once I become a dive master. I didn't want to come right out and say that because I knew myself or my instructor would probably get flamed on here if I did. I have to admit that I really didn't expect such a negative response for simply expanding my diving knowledge while I have the time and money to do it. Maybe leaving those details out made everyone think that I am just trying to collect cert cards or something, I don't know. I know that once I get back to Florida, I will be in the water almost everyday. I wont have the worry of a 9-5 job to get into the way of my dive time. right now I am looking at these classes as getting a head start on my future. I wont be diving 1 day a week if I find the time, this outfit owns 3 boats that each run a few times a day, and do beach dive as well, they are serious.

what are the negatives of taking the online portion of rescue, prior to being AOW certified? I really cant think of any.
underwater time will come easier to me than 99% of people starting out I'm pretty sure due to my unique circumstances.

please don't take this post negatively, I still would like to hear and understand everybody's thoughts and opinions, that is why I posted it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom