AOW specialty recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dolphan73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Besides the required deep and nav, what specialties do you recommend with AOW. Considering nitrox and night.

Regarding an Adventure Dive, Peak Performance Buoyancy can be a good one. All of them will depend on how they are taught.

Regarding the Enriched Air, I'd suggest that if you are truly interested in it that you take the full course and not do an Adventure Dive as part of your AOW. The Enriched Air Specialty does not require any diving, so don't "waste" an Adventure Dive.

A lot of our students choose to do the Search and Recovery dive as the last dive of their AOW program. It can be real fun, and if done well, it can tie all of the dives and things you have learned together.

Which of the various choices interest you?

Night used to be required. It can be hard to do in some places, which is apparently why it is no longer required.

I agree with everything Hawkwood said above. In general, I would focus on anything that is going to improve my skills in the water.

Since you mentioned four specialties I assume you are referring to advanced through SSI.

Most "advanced" divers are certified by PADI, who only require five accompanied dives to earn the certification. SSI, on the other hand requires four specialties and 24 dives - which I believe makes their advanced certification mean something.

To answer your question, since you live in Illinois I would suggest drysuit certification. When you are warm and dry you can enjoy diving all year long. Nitrox is only useful if you own a large tank (100+ cf) or enough experience for a low SAC rate. Keep diving and it will be very useful in your future. And if you want to explore technical diving one day, perfect buoyancy will be valuable. Night dives are fun and beautiful, but I rarely meet divers with a night specialty so I have a complacent attitude towards that specialty.

i think nitrox is a separate certification not part of the AOW, but you have to take what you would like most. i took peak performance buoyancy, search & recovery, and wreck. i also double dipped with drysuit :)

It depends on what type of diving you plan in the future. Many are not "hard" and are simply designed to make you think about the safety considerations for a particular dive by reading the chapter and answering a few questions then having a chaperoned dive for that adventure. But it is always more comfortable when doing a particular dive for the first time if there is an instructor nearby.

Peak performance buoyancy is a very helpful specialty. More emphasis is placed on getting your weighting down at the start of that dive and the skills for the certification aren't difficult but give you a much better feel for how your breath affects your buoyancy. When you have to slow down you will realize how much breathing in and out affects your overall buoyancy. One of the drills done is to swim through a hula hoop then pause like you are taking a picture, then swim through the hoop. Now, you won't automatically have pin point buoyancy control after just one class and one dive but you will have the feel for it.

Night dives aren't difficult but can be a little intimidating on the first dive because of the dark. My daughter did her first night dive while on vacation, no class prior, and did just fine. It's mostly about getting used to jumping in the water when it's completely black. Visibility is usually measured in what your flashlight can illuminate. The dive also has an eerie feeling with the surrounding darkness. Personally night dives are my favorites and I never miss a chance for a night dive. After multiple night dives myself I took my nephew on a night dive with no class, just handed him some lights. He did just fine.

Since my daughter had already done multiple night dives when she did her AOW certification she opted for scooters one of her specialties. Something different, definitely fun. Not something she would normally do since we don't really have access to scooters but now she's had the experience.

It would be almost impossible to find a place in Illinois for drift diving in current.

I wasn't aware that Nitrox was one of the offered specialties, at least for PADI but if it is then would be highly recommended. It doesn't really require an actual dive and you can be certified just doing the class with an actual dive optional.

What type of diving do you think you will be doing in the future? Or is there a subject that is really interesting and you know little about. Here is a chance to sample different specialties. Not only can you find some that you want to do, but you might also find one or two that you first think is for you but now trying it find out it is not what you thought it was. Of course the instructor will make or possibly break a specialty's experience...so before picking specialties, pick a good shop with great instructors.

Night used to be required. It can be hard to do in some places, which is apparently why it is no longer required.

I agree with everything Hawkwood said above. In general, I would focus on anything that is going to improve my skills in the water.

Agree. Such things as Search & Recovery, PP Buoyancy, to some degree Wreck and Night. Drift, Altitude, Ice diver, if applicable. These are practical for a lot of divers and can improve basic skills. Did I leave any out?

Navigation,search and recovery,night,deep, drysuit,altitude,dpv,wreck,boat. If the instructor is an exceptional photograph you might take photography. Same with fish ID, I've heard its pretty good.
I did nitrox as a separate class at the same time as my AOW and that worked very well. I did the tables version,which I think was a good fit for me.
Have fun and enjoy. Read the book!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom