oxygen narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
this for me is a hard one to swallow

you can deco of at 1.6 pp02 for hours
past about 2.0 pp02 the risk of tox is high.

when exactly are you going to get oxygen narcosis?

Narcosis and toxicity are VERY different things. Oxtox kills you, narcosis makes you act drunk. Could you clarify your question?

I am guessing you are referring to the recurring "is oxygen narcotic" threads that pop up from time to time.

Obviously as you point out, you can't breathe pure oxygen deep enough to experience oxygen narcosis effects (if any). The real question is, does it contribute to narcosis or not? or similarly, does increasing the oxygen content in nitrox reduce narcosis?

These questions tend to result in fairly heated debates.

I don't care for O2 narcosis one bit.
Even though nitrogen is dangerous in that it can make me think everything is cool and I'm all happy, taking nitrox to the max turns me into a paranoid schizophrenic. It hits me twice as hard as nitrogen in a really weird way.
I guess in some ways that's better, keeps me out of trouble.
I always tell myself that I'll thank myself later.

Maximum single exposure at 1.6ppO2 is 45mins and max of 150 mins in any 24 hour period, according to the NOAA exposure table. - Not the 'hours' the OP suggested.

Maximum single exposure at 1.6ppO2 is 45mins and max of 150 mins in any 24 hour period, according to the NOAA exposure table. - Not the 'hours' the OP suggested.
However, we know that in big dives the NOAA exposures are being well exceeded. Perhaps not all at 1.6 but the overall exposure is well above the recommendation.

What I keep reading is that single-dive exposures can safely breach the living crap out of NOAA recommendations, but multiple-dive exposures are MUCH more likely to ruin your weekend. From what I've heard, multi-dive exposures can wreck your day even sooner than NOAA predicts.

What I keep reading is that single-dive exposures can safely breach the living crap out of NOAA recommendations, but multiple-dive exposures are MUCH more likely to ruin your weekend. From what I've heard, multi-dive exposures can wreck your day even sooner than NOAA predicts.

Maybe on tech dives, but I can't see it happening much on rec dives. How many people push PPO to 1.6 for more than 45 minutes, much less multiple times a day? The exposure for 1.4 PPO is significantly longer and more unlikely to reach.

Mike

I don't understand what Tech vs Rec has to do with this? Just because you're wearing split fins doesn't mean you're less likely to die of exposure. I know this is in the "Basic" forum....but the point is the same. The OP asked about oxygen toxicity/narcosis as if they were the same thing and didn't clarify. A small discussion broke out involving the fact that since O2 is toxic WELL before narcotic pressures, the point is moot. This is fairly true in a recreational/basic forum. My point was simply expanding on something.

However, what has NOT been discussed is what the OP actually meant or why they are asking. In the world of trimix diving, O2's narcotic properties are VERY important. In the "Basic Scuba" forum, they're not. What I've been trying to establish is what the OP meant. The question showed CLEAR lack of an understanding of the basic concepts/jargon of oxygen toxicity and narcosis.....so what does op MEAN and what is op ASKING?

Back
Top Bottom