gift for a SCUBA diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kellyro

New
Reaction score
Hi there.. my boyfriend is just about to get his SCUBA Instructor Certification, and I want to get him a suitable gift. I don't SCUBA dive (I'll be learning soon), so I don't know what would be a really cool gift for him.

One thing he keeps mentioning is needing to start learning about the marine life so he can use that as he teaches, gives tours, etc. Does anyone know of a good book or computer program that would help him in learning about all the marine life - especially those seen on typical dives?

Any suggestions on the marine life thing, or OTHER gift suggestions would help a LOT! My spending limit is around $100.

Thanks for your help!!!

kellyro:
Any suggestions on the marine life thing, or OTHER gift suggestions would help a LOT! My spending limit is around $100.

Thanks for your help!!!

oh have i got the perfect gift for him if he is going to be diving
in Florida/Bahamas/Caribbean.

The three-book series by Paul HUmann and Ned Deloach is THE best thing for someone interested in marine life i.d. they are ""Reef Fish Identification," "Reef Coral Identification" and "Reef Creature Identification." Each is $35.00 and I think you can get the series at a discount.

there's also a volume out now on Pacific tropical fish.

you can try www.fishid.com or call 1-800-737-6558 for more info.

hope this helps!! (and get going with your cert: you'll have a blast)

:bounce:

Linked below is a set of books I got as a gift that are very cool.

The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral (3 Volumes) [BOX SET]
by Paul Humann, Ned Deloach

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_4/102-4758689-5108952?v=glance&s=books

Cost on Amazon, $84.00.

If you live somewhere that has reefs, or you travel, these books are cool.
If you live somewhere, like me, where there are no fish (Michigan) like the ones in the book it is still cool to look at the pictures and dream...

my .02

I would recommend the Paul Humann set - it has 3 volume set for the Caribbean. There maybe some for the Pacific also. I believe there is a CD to the set also. You might check with Borders or Amazon.
Becky

ooh thanks! keep the suggestions coming! the problem with the regional marine books is that he doesn't really know where he'll end up - could be in the florida/bahamas area... could be out in hawaii... maybe even mexico... are there any books that would cover that much?

kellyro:
ooh thanks! keep the suggestions coming! the problem with the regional marine books is that he doesn't really know where he'll end up - could be in the florida/bahamas area... could be out in hawaii... maybe even mexico... are there any books that would cover that much?

Florida, Bahamas and East coast of Mexico would be covered in the Caribbean set.

Becky

Get him a gift certificate to a dive shop, LeisurePro, Divers Direct or somewhere like that so he can get exactly what he wants. Just a thought if you don't know what he would really want.

RavenC

RavenC:
Get him a gift certificate to a dive shop, LeisurePro, Divers Direct or somewhere like that so he can get exactly what he wants. Just a thought if you don't know what he would really want.

d'oh!!!

good idea...

Back
Top Bottom