Humboldt Squid Dive - Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody here done the Humboldt squid night dive out of Loreto, Mexico? It looks pretty awesome. I am thinking of putting it on my bucket list.

humboldt.jpg

I was told when we were down there a year ago that they haven't been seen there in the last couple of years.

Last time I looked in to it--years ago--a one or two dive outing cost THOUSANDS of dollars. I scratched if off my list at that time.

If the squid come back and the price is reasonable I would love to do it.

I did it in 2008 out of season so we didn't have any luck. Check with the operator about how the dives have been going. Back in 2007-2009 you could dive with pretty big ones, now it's started to get real hard to find big ones due to the fishing. Most of the people diving with them now are doing it on liveabord trips which can move to where the squid are.

Seeing them on tv is quite enough for me. I'd rather dive cage less with great whites while wearing a tuna suit.

i think i saw the same thing. they are vicious!!!!!!!!!

Seeing them on tv is quite enough for me. I'd rather dive cage less with great whites while wearing a tuna suit.

Holy crap!!! I about fell off the couch I was laughing so hard!!! "Tuna suit", now that's funny, I can't stop laughing!!!

i think i saw the same thing. they are vicious!!!!!!!!!

I saw an article about a professional diver that wanted to see if it was true what people were saying about the Humbolt's being dangerous. Apparently he doesn't recommend the dive because the Humboldt's almost killed him IIRC.

Well, I can't really assess how "dangerous" they are but I know of one group who was snorkeling with them here off Catalina without incident and we've had them right in Avalon Bay. I don't think I'd want to run across a group of them on my night dives here, but so far so good.

Dr. Bill - I read the ones off of Catalina were pretty small. There was also a humorous comparison to the difference between hanging out with a house cat versus a mountain lion. Size makes a big difference :wink:

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 07:12 PM ----------

For those who are interested in the subject:

1) 2 articles about Scott Cassell, one of the pioneers
Scott Cassell Interview ? Humboldt Squid, Shark Poachers and Luminox Watches - DIVE.in

Squidly

2) A show called Monster Quest had an episode on them. And you should see the monster squid at the end !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9vvY1dc0I

3) And last but not least, it looks like Shark Diver also has some dive packages with them

Giant Squid Diving - Dosidicus Gigas - Mexico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom