Dive Log pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJules

Contributor
Reaction score
It's time to buy dive log pages, but I have decided that none of them really have everything I want on them. Every one I see seems to be missing something. So I have decided to design my own.

Is there something that you wish was on your dive log pages? Let me know, maybe I can add it this design and then share....

Julie

what aspects do you wish were there but are not?
My PADI diver's log seems to have everything I need. Am I missing out on something? Or, maybe I'm just simplistic (that doesn't look like it's spelled right) and easily satisfied.

You don't have to try to figure out which!

Todd

I wanted a dedicated space to put oxygen percentage (for nitrox dives). That's what got me started on this project... I haven't found a single dive log that has that in it. I do like the PADI exposure protection checklist, though. I'm going to incorporate that into mine. On th eother hand, I don't think I need a dive profile in my log since I dive computer exclusively so I don't have to figure out my dive group letter....

Julie

Julie...I designed my own pages a few years back for the same reason. They've gone through a couple of revisions and I have a little bit of tweeking to do but all-in-all I'm happy with them. I keep up with all kinds of stuff, some that others may think is useless but it suits me! Here's a list of what I have...

Date
Dive No.
Today's Dive No.
Trip Dive No.
Depth
Avg. Depth
Bottom Time
EAN%
Safety Stop
Surface Interval
Time In
Time Out
Weights
Air and water temps
Tank, steel or alum. and size
Starting PSI
Ending PSI
SAC rate
SAC vol/min
Type of dive...shore, boat, wreck, night, training
Bottom time to date
Bottom time this dive
Total Bottom time
Activity
Comments
Divemaster
Boat Capt.
Dive op used (if any)
Verification signature and cert No. of Instructor, DM or buddy if needed.

All this is formatted on a 5.5 X 8 in. sheet in a 3 ring binder. And yes...it's very easy to read!

I have a slightly different method. I don't like being kept in a box. Sometimes I have very little to write about a dive, other times I have lots to write. Once in awhile, I like to add a sketch. I switched over to a lined record book I can pick up for a fraction of the cost at an office supply store. If I want to put 5 dives on one page, I can. If I want to use 4 pages for 1 dive, I can do that too. I record all the stats I care to along with the narrative. In addition I keep a log on an Excel spread sheet with several catagories. It works very well for me.

DSSW,

WWW™

Actually PADI does make one. Its there adventure dive log book pages. Its for those 3 ring binder longbooks. If you find a PADI shop they can order them for you. Heres the info:

70066 Adventure Log Enriched Air Module MSRP $8.10

Hi Dee,

That's a great list, thanks! What's the difference between SAC Rate and SAC Vol/Min? I thought that SAC was usually measured in cuft/min, but maybe I'm missing something....

Julie

Julie,

One on the problems with SAC (Surface Air Consumtion) is that it is merely a measurement of PSI/minute at the surface. You can easily covert it to Air Consumption at depth, but it is only useful when you are using the same size tank as the one you used to compute your SAC. It is not valid when moving between low and high pressure tanks with the same volume. An SAC vol/min would be the same as an RMV (Respiratory Minute Volume) which measures the volume of air consumed per minute at the surface. This will hold true from tank to tank regardless of tank size, pressure etc, but will vary with conditions - work load, temperature, etc.

RMV is easy to calculate, but the last time I explained it, several people went into math shock. If you'd like I can explain the proceedure in a private message or I can send an Excel spreadsheet programed to do the math for you to anyone wanting it. There are three sheets on the file. The 1st sheet is a logbook page, the 2nd sheet is the RMV and the 3rd contains all the nitrox formulas. The page from the logbook keeps track of dive #, location, date, depth, time, total time, average time, average depth, 100 ft or deeper, 60 ft or deeper, reef, artificial reef, wreck, fresh water, night, # this year, # this month, # at this location, total # of locations, cavern, solo, nitrox & %. I've never kept track of cold vs warm because I have no idea where to draw the line. I'm thinking of adding a column for viz < 3'. I have shared it with others from the board in the past, but only recently put all three pages on one file.

rstone,

"Actually PADI does make one. Its there adventure dive log book pages."

How do you know? Julie said, "I have decided that none of them really have everything I want on them." Nowhere did she say what she wanted on the page, so there is no way you or anyone else could know if everything Julie wants is on PADI's adventure logbook or on any other logbook. Stop, think, act.

DSSW,

WWW™

Julie,

Walter pretty much answered your question.

...One on the problems with SAC (Surface Air Consumtion) is that it is merely a measurement of PSI/minute at the surface. You can easily covert it to Air Consumption at depth, but it is only useful when you are using the same size tank as the one you used to compute your SAC. It is not valid when moving between low and high pressure tanks with the same volume. An SAC vol/min would be the same as an RMV (Respiratory Minute Volume) which measures the volume of air consumed per minute at the surface. This will hold true from tank to tank regardless of tank size, pressure etc, but will vary with conditions - work load, temperature, etc.

I use several different tank sizes so I convert my SAC to DAC (depth air consumption). By having the SAC rate noted, it's easier to figure the DAC when I need to refer to it later instead of doing that math after every dive!

The RMV is what I use the most. I refer to my log for recent dives in the same consitions or with the same expected work load. It doesn't matter what size tank I used, the RMV will be the same.

Have fun designing your own pages. It doesn't matter how anyone else does it, this is information you want in a format you can use and refer to easily. Personally, I enjoy going through my logbook and reading the comments on each dive. It brings each dive back to me...

Immersions IDL (Internet Dive Log) is what I use for an internet based log book. My dive watch is downloaded through it so most of the info is automatically filled in. I can also download my computer through it. As algulfdiver mentioned, the SAC and RVM is figured for you, although it's a very good idea to know how to figure this yourself. Gear maintainence records, trip reports, contact lists, photos...are all features of this program. I started as a beta tester for them several years ago and am happy to say several of my ideas have been implemented.

One of the best things I like about having my log book on the internet, is if something happens to my 3-ring binder log book, I have the records online and can print them out. By the same token, if my computer crashes and I lose any log book files, such as Walters spreadsheet, all my dives are safe on the internet and just requires a download to restore them.

Yes, it takes a little extra effort to keep both internet records and a physical log book but to me it's well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom