My scuba diving days may be over. :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was involved in a motorcycle accident the other day. Suffered multiple fractures in a rib with a pneumothorax. Still in the hospital but improving. Kinda of bummed a out the possible no more scuba, but I'm alive.

DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

A spontaneous pneumothorax (occurs without an injury) would be a problem. One that occurred because of an injury might not be.

You would need a see a diving doc to find out whether the one you had would be a problem or not. It's not automatically "no diving".

flots.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, it's primarily spontaneous pneumothorax that is the problem. Traumatic pneumos aren't likely to prevent you from diving.

I had a traumatic pneumo after a motorcycle accident. Sue had two. No problem. :)

Diverg-If that was the case I would never have been able to get back into diving.-I race bikes so thats pretty much an occupational hazard
Heal up. Shallow breaths. No laughing for awhile and you'll be back down underwater in no time.
Dare I ask what state the bikes in??

Hope you recover soon and as others have mentioned you should be good to go diving again once you heal you heal up properly, don't hang up your fins yet.

I know a boat captain/diver who lost part of a lung in a m/c accident. Still dives the Atlantic.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

IMO the lesson from your accident, once you're fully healed is to stop motorcycle riding not the diving.

Why?

Had Sue and I been in the car instead of on the bike, we'd have been in a head-on collision instead of going off the road into the ditch. Which do you think would have been worse?
Life is dangerous. You do what you can to minimize the risk, but it's always a tradeoff.
On the bike, it's leathers and helmets. The Corvette, the Wrangler and the Camaro all have roll bars (the Jeep has a full cage) and 5-point harnesses instead of seatbelts. None of that eliminates the risks.

I know a few people who got pneumo's while commercial diving. They are still diving. I would think you could to. Find a good diving doc. There's a couple in Houma, LA :)

Why?

Had Sue and I been in the car instead of on the bike, we'd have been in a head-on collision instead of going off the road into the ditch. Which do you think would have been worse?
Probably the ditch, on a bike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom